Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,551   Posts: 1,599,183   Online: 1215

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will the lens on an anastigmat-equipped 3A camera like the ones you identified above cover 4x5 as the RR in the ball bearing shutter does?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Among basic Anastigmats, the Tessar-type lenses have the least coverage of only a few percent over the focal length. So you can safely assume that any anastigmat with a focal length of 150mm or more will cover 4x5".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Pinhole

3-A

Thank you.

I guess I don't need a third...but an anastigmat would be nice to have too...
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole

REALITY CHECK

OK, I was happy to have gotten a 170 mm RR because of it's personality...but I just realized if I have a Tessar, the Anastigmat may have less 'personality' than the RR, and thus closer to redundant with respect to my Tessar-type, other than a little longer.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Among basic Anastigmats, the Tessar-type lenses have the least coverage of only a few percent over the focal length. So you can safely assume that any anastigmat with a focal length of 150mm or more will cover 4x5".
    150/9 Apo Ronar?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    150/9 Apo Ronar?
    Repro lenses are an obvious, and well known, exception to the rule. Anything older with "APO" in the name has a ihgh likelyhood of being a repro lens. The only exception I know of is the APO-Lanthar, which has more coverage than the basic Tessar. But that's not a repro lens, unlike the APO-Tessar...
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As an aside, my father gave me a camea yesterday: A Kodak Autographic 2A camera with B&L RR lens. And I'd promised I wouldn't "aquire" any more cameras this year...
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems to me, Ole, last report had you promising not to *buy* any more -- clearly, receiving a gift is entirely different. If your wife speaks good English, I'd be happy to explain that to her, too...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Anyone know what f.l. is on an Ansco #5 (4-3/4"x3-3/4" image, Kodak 103 or Ansco 10A/10B film)? - I suppose it could be same length lens, but looks older...I'll find out when it arrives.

The shutter is one of those with the cylinder...pneumatic? I wonder how those survive the years...as well as Ball Bearing Shutters? Time will tell...
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

I have a 135mm Tessar on my home made 5x4 camera which I got from an old 9 x 12cm plate camera. It covers 5x4 quite well and allows for some movements. Am I just lucky with this one?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin