Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,222   Online: 858

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey
    I don't actually have a Speed Graphic or I would have done surgery to remove the blades and used the focal plane shutter... my 4x5 is actually a homemade camera cobbled together from various parts, including a crown graphic bellows, front standard and lensboard, with a graphloc back, all mounted on a rigid wooden frame... not ideal but it works...
    Another option that may not cost too much more than another 3A and would give you a lot more options would be to look for a 'for parts' Speed Graphic body with the focal plane shutter intact. These come up fairly often on ebay and go cheap - install your front end and back and you're in business.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Steve - While your Tessar is likely older, being from a plate camera, my Xenar 135, as best I recall, has a spec sheet image circle of 161 mm...barely adequate for , what is it 153-154 mm for a 4x5 filmholder openeing diagonal?

WClavey...I hesitantly suggest this...I was re-rusting a BB shutter w/RR lens from a 3A Model C, and after a couple recoveries in which I almost trashed the aperture diaphragm, I got it back together, cleaned the shutter with an aerosol solvent, and ended up with three as yet unknown, but visibly different shutter speeds.

Then, due to corrosion & fatigue I guess, the T/B catch spring broke. So I have 3 limiting speeds...I can't go slower or faster...this may be very limiting...What I am hesitatingly thinking about is what the likelihood is your Ball Bearing Shutter and mine have the same size leaves. I have a second one in uncorroded shape that has very different faceplates, etc. I think one says EKC and the other might say Kodak, so I don't know the age difference.

I haven't written off my shutter yet...I debated opening/removing the main spring so I can spin it open then put it on the SG. IF I went that way, I'd consider donating the shutter leaves. I am not confident of my own ability to transplant them. I can take things apart just fine...it's getting back together that is my weakness.

So, two concerns...the feasibility of compatibility, and your ability to get leaves back in order...I suppose that depends on a third factor...my documentation of the donor shutter leaf 'harvesting'.

The only thing delaying my writing off shutter function is whether I can Murray-rig an alternate spring method that would allow me to retain T&B, something I assume I may use more often than 1/25, 1/50, 1/100...but you're talking to someone who spends more time with equipment than film...maybe 3 speeds is enough.

1) Do you think your skills are adequate to accomplish a shutter leaf transplant?

2) If so, we could probably exchange images of the shutters to visually screen for different vintages.

3) This camera was donated to me, I have to solve the rotten bellows dilemma also, and the possibility of a coordinated component transplant seems cool.

I'm on the fence, but open enough to the possibility to have brought it up myself.

If you don't think you can do it, or there is a strong suggestion of different construction, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the blades/leaves.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    Steve - While your Tessar is likely older, being from a plate camera, my Xenar 135, as best I recall, has a spec sheet image circle of 161 mm...barely adequate for , what is it 153-154 mm for a 4x5 filmholder openeing diagonal?

For a true 5" x 4" I think the diagonal is about 160mm so 1mm spare!! The opening in the film holder is usually about 3/16" smaller than this though so your figure of 153-154mm is probably more accurate.

I have not really done much experimenting with my Tessar 135mm other than hold it in front of a piece of paper projecting an image of my window and thinking "yes, that will do". I expect that it falls of in sharpness before the fall off in light.
    I have only ever used it at f32 before, usually with no movements and once with a small amount of front tilt which it seemed to handle o.k.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray - I have only successfully disassembled and reassembled 1 leaf shutter - - from an Argus C4. I have tried 2 others and not been successful - - of course, I did not have any instructions or guides and very few of the right tools... so I would not put any stock in my skills or knowledge about shutters. Id like to learn, but that will have to wait until I retire, I think... not that far off...

I do have the front and rear B&L Rapid Rectilinear cells off of a Kodak ball bearing shutter which I would donate to your work and you can see if they fit your shutter (if you need a lens). I actually have acquired another "working" version of that shutter and lens... it has 3 different speeds but only 2 are accurate and the third is just slightly faster than the second. I will probably continue looking for a replacement but it is not high on my list.

I also have acquired a Kodak Anastigmat with shutter speeds that sound good from an Autographic 3A which I am waiting to actually do some tests shots with.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As reported elsewhere, I've been given a Kodak Autographic 2A with RR and working Ball Bearing shutter.

That means I may have a spare Ball bearing shutter, unless I can get one of my many barrel lenses to fit in it...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Well, it looks like I have 1.5 usable shutters, 2 sets of usable glass (one has a bubble,which everyone says is no big deal, the other has one tiny spot (fungus?) in the interior center, and an Ansco 5 on the way with what appears to be a cylinder-driven (pneumatic?) shutter and RR lens...maybe a different f.l.

So I don't really NEED the lenses to complete something...on the other hand, I would probably make something with it if you had no use.

I'll bet this story sounds familiar to the group :O)
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So I don't really NEED the lenses to complete something...on the other hand, I would probably make something with it if you had no use.

I'll bet this story sounds familiar to the group :O)
    Very familiar. Whilst searching for something else yesterday, I came across what I think was your first post with a list of your current (at the time) projects. It was fairly long (and familiar) then. I bet it's at least twice as long now!

Steve.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone know what f.l. is on an Ansco #5 (4-3/4"x3-3/4" image, Kodak 103 or Ansco 10A/10B film)? - I suppose it could be same length lens, but looks older...I'll find out when it arrives.

The shutter is one of those with the cylinder...pneumatic? I wonder how those survive the years...as well as Ball Bearing Shutters? Time will tell...
    Best guess, based on the film dimension of 103, is a focal length of approximately 150 mm -- that film isn't enough smaller than 4x5 to worry about, though it seems like it would be pretty easy to measure if you have the camera. FWIW, pneumatic shutters actually seem to age better than those with gears and lever like Compur, and are easier to restore -- as long as the piston is tight and moves freely in the cylinder, even adjusting is just a matter of calibrating the metering apertures to give the correct delay.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks, IM/DQ.

I figured it would be similar f.l. to 122 format camera (FP 3A), but different mfr, etc...no telling 'til it speaks to me itself. I'm not sure where I got the idea it was an RR...that remains to be seen also.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    If any cares...it was a brass shutter labeled Wollensack as suggested by Abbazz. Lens has a brass trim ring matching the shutter. I don't see Cyko or anything else.

Now I'm curious what Wollensack called their lens that looks like a Rapid Rectilinear...
    Murray

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin