Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,949   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Grafmatic holder

I was recently given a Grafmatic film back for 5x4. It seems to take 6 sheets on some kind of spring loaded system, kind of like the magazine on my old Lee- Enfield. Only problem is that there seems to be only one septum inside, should there be six?
    I have never seen one of these before, let alone used one. Does anyone have experience with this magazine and do they hold the film sufficiently flat?
    Love to hear your thoughts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There should be six septums. Septums show up occasionally on eBay, or you might just buy another one and use the better one and keep the other for parts.

Film flatness with Grafmatics is better than with standard holders in general, if the septums aren't bent.

Do a search on "grafmatic" and you'll find lots of info. I have 8 of them. There is also an instruction manual that you can find on the net in a few places. I think they have it at graflex.org, but there is also a repair manual I believe on another site.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks David, much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Grafmatic manual - and some other Graflex manuals - on my site.Go here.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I go with what David has said, except that I only have 4 of them. Spare packs septums do show on eBay, it's where I brought a spare pack last year. Great fun, as close to a motor-drive as you will get on a 5x4.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Tony, if you decide to buy more grafmatics just be aware that there are two types. By far the commonest is the "graphic" type (serial number 1268) that fits the graflok/international back that you find on many modern 4x5 cameras.

There is another variation of the grafmatic for the older Graflex SLRs which has a slightly wider base and won't fit into a graflok back. This version has serial number 1168. They are rare and sought after by Graflex enthusiasts, so if you buy the wrong one you should be able to resell it easily.

The same septums fit both sort. You need all six septums for the grafmatic to work properly. The septums tend to get bent at the tips but can easily be straightened with a pair of fine pliers and gentle pressure. I check all of the septums every time I reload the grafmatics.

There is another sort of septum used in the "bag mags" which were the forerunner to the grafmatic. These will usually have a number printed on the back. They won't work in a grafmatic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-4x5-Grafl...QQcmdZViewItem

Hi Tony, check this site out for septums, it might be a way to get them.

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two grafmatics. one is labeled 1168, and one is labeled 1268. Both fit the grafloc back on my Toyo CF. As far as I can tell they are identical in width, thickness, grooves, etc. I thought holders made for the SLRs had a fin instead of a groove on the side.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Terence,
    It is possible that the body (which has the serial number printed on it) from a "graflex" grafmatic has been mated with the base of a "graphic" grafmatic. I have both types and it looks like that would be feasible.

The "graflex" type also has a groove on the face at the dark slide end, while the "graphic" type has two ridges. They both have a groove in the side, but the "graflex" type is wider below the groove, which I guess could also be describes as a fin.

I must get around to putting up a simple web page to illustrate this. Then I could also explain how to tell a non locking grafmatic from the locking type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once again thanks everyone, such a mine of information!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin