Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,100   Online: 976

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rather than use the spotmeter and read the darkest detail, you could use the incident part of the meter. That is sensitive to EV -2 @ ISO 100 whereas the spotmeter is sensitive to EV +2 @ ISO 100. So that gets you about six stops more effective sensitivity (four for the meter sensitivity, two and a bit because you are 'reading' a brighter value. As long as you use incident metering in the same illumination as the shadows you can be fairly sure that there will be nothing much darker than two and a half stops below the incident reading.

As you have the 508 you can add a Minolta Booster II. The booster is a basic reflective meter which is about eight stops more sensitive than the 508 itself, so it works down to about -10 EV @ ISO 100 as I recall. I was going to check that, and just discovered that my booster is not where I thought it was.

Best,
    Helen

PS Silicon photo diodes (eg Gossen SBC) are a lot more sensitive than selenium cells. I've always thought that the Gossen SBC meters were preferable to the CdS ones. I love my Profisix, whatever it is called in the USA.
    Last edited by Helen B; 06-22-2006 at 09:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparky, the Blue Silicon sensor (SBC)is more sensitive than the selenium cell and has better light response characteristics than the Cadmium Sulfide Cell found in some of the older model Luna Pros. I've been using an SBC Luna Pro as a backup meter (but now it needs to go in for recalibration). My current primary light meter is an Analog Pentax Spotmeter (SBC sensor).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Helen, I didn't read your post before posting mine.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    I do have an analog Spectra meter called a Candela that is designed to read extremely low light levels (how low I would have to check), but it is long out of production. As it is a cine meter, it might be pretty hard to find second hand.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 06-22-2006 at 11:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Pentax analog spotmeter was modified by Norris to provide real time light level information (via an electrical cable)to the shutter speed contol electonics in my Norris animation motor for my Bolex Rex 16. I've used this rig to do time lapse wide angle astrophotography - thus metering very low light levels.

I don't know how low "very low" is.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    luna pro sbc is amazing at low light. there are all sorts of attachments too, and best of all, the battery is a 9volt

Shooter
    35mm
    I checked. The Candela is still in production, but has evolved into the
    Candela II. Reads down to .1 fc. Thats dimmer than me

Shooter
    Multi Format

Reading the meter

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    As mrcallow indicates the Gossen Luna Pros are thought to be good for long exposure. I no longer have mine. However, for very long exposures, you may start to get into reciprocity failure problems which are more evident and more problem in color, particularly transparencies.

For really long exposures you may also wish to consider a guide like the Black Cat.

Rich
    I have a Gossen Profisix (Lunapro) that will give exposures up to eight hours, the problem I had with this to take readings for night and low light photography is that you were unable to see the needle to set the dial, and to use a torch would effect the reading if you see what I mean. I eventually bought a Gossen Lunalite, that will also read down to eight hours but has three red L.E.Ds on it, the readings are taken by turning the dial until just the central L.E.D. is lit,this reading can be stored by the meter and recalled in a light it can be seen in.
    The Gossen Lunalite is no longer made, but there are plenty of them about second hand and fairly cheap.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...you were unable to see the needle to set the dial, and to use a torch would effect the reading..."

Bentley,

You don't have to see the needle on a Profisix when you are taking the reading, only when you are turning the dial after you have taken the reading.

(The Profisix reads to EV -4 @ ISO 100, which corresponds to about 0.016 fc incident.) - incorrect limit

Later correction: The Profisix reads to EV -8 @ ISO 100, which corresponds to about 0.001 fc incident.

EV -1 @ ISO 100 is about 0.13 fc, for comparison with the Spectra Candela II - actually not very dim.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 06-23-2006 at 08:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Original sensitivity of Profisix was wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Helen I know you can use the little store button to remember the reading, I just found the Lunalite more convenient at the time because I could turn the dial in the dark, I haven't done any night photography for years and keep it as a backup to the Profisix whose analogue reading, with a needle I prefer.
    Best Wishes.
    Ben

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin