Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,210   Online: 841

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    John,

The Lunipro is the meter that I have mostly switched to for this very reason. It reads to EV -4 which is substantially lower than the rest of the 'regular' photo meters out there, and fairly commonly found on the used market as well.

I've switched to that meter for most of my shooting now. It does take a good understanding of exposure and the ZS or other approaches to get good consistant exposures out of it in a manner consistant with a spot meter approach, but in some ways I find the approach somewhat less fraught with metering peril when metering less than ideal conditions.

Or, you could use it for basic Zone V readings, and be pretty close as well.

I recommend reading the BTZS book carefully (the part about ambient meter use) to fully understand the implications of using an ambient meter for ZS/BTZS metering.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quick note, if looking for a used LuniPro meter in the US, I recommend avoiding the older meters that use the 1.35V batteries as they are not available in the US anymore. Those meters tend to go fairly inexpensively for that reason. They can be converted, but that seems to be asking for more trouble than it's worth.

The 1.5V version is not as common, and tends to sell for a bit more, but they batteries are available and you are getting a newer meter as well. I think I paid about $100 for mine at auction.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I paid <$150 for my Luna Pro SBC, which reads down to EV-6 IIRC. I love it. I have done a ton of color slide work at night with it, and have found it to be spot-on. I actually stopped bracketing because I realized I was just wasting film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    AFAIK - the Lunasix3 is supposed to be much better than the 'pro. And pretty much the most sensitive in the gossen line owing to the fact that it uses a selenium cell and not a SBC (silicon)... but that's assuming I don't have the cell types backwards in memory. I'm pretty sure of that though.
    Lunapro = LunaSix 3. And it doesn't have a selenium cell, it has a CdS cell.

There's also a LunaPro SBC, as mentioned by Helen and others, that is not a LunaSix 3. Gossen's names can confuse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Quick note, if looking for a used LuniPro meter in the US, I recommend avoiding the older meters that use the 1.35V batteries as they are not available in the US anymore. Those meters tend to go fairly inexpensively for that reason. They can be converted, but that seems to be asking for more trouble than it's worth.
    Keep saying this, Michael... I need another and I'd like to get it CHEAP!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Lunapro = LunaSix 3. And it doesn't have a selenium cell, it has a CdS cell.

There's also a LunaPro SBC, as mentioned by Helen and others, that is not a LunaSix 3. Gossen's names can confuse.
    Thanks Dan - I'm sure that's the one I was thinking of. Cadmium Sulfide. However the LunaPro is NOT the same a the LunaSix. There ARE actually differences. I realize that they look very much the same on the outside. But it's what's INSIDE that matters, don't you think-?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Thanks Dan - I'm sure that's the one I was thinking of. Cadmium Sulfide. However the LunaPro is NOT the same a the LunaSix. There ARE actually differences. I realize that they look very much the same on the outside. But it's what's INSIDE that matters, don't you think-?
    Sparky, you are confusing LunaPros with LunaPros.

When the LunaPro was introduced in the US, it replaced the LunaPro II. A meter identical to the LunaPro sold in the US was sold in the rest of the world as the LunaSix III. You can look it up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    "...you were unable to see the needle to set the dial, and to use a torch would effect the reading..."

Bentley,

You don't have to see the needle on a Profisix when you are taking the reading, only when you are turning the dial after you have taken the reading.

The Profisix reads to EV -4 @ ISO 100, which corresponds to about 0.016 fc incident. EV -1 @ ISO 100 is about 0.13 fc, for comparison with the Spectra Candela II - actually not very dim.

Best,
    Helen
    well then maybe I'm not as dim as I look.... well, really no chance of that....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    well then maybe I'm not as dim as I look.... well, really no chance of that....
    Yah Jason,

But, I want to see you hand hold a camera for a photo under those exposure conditions.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Sparky, you are confusing LunaPros with LunaPros.

When the LunaPro was introduced in the US, it replaced the LunaPro II. A meter identical to the LunaPro sold in the US was sold in the rest of the world as the LunaSix III. You can look it up.
    I suppose I COULD be mistaken - though I DO recall being on another forum somewhere - SOME TIME AGO (so don't hold me to it!) where after EXHAUSTIVE conversation it was determined that the Lunasix was a good deal more sensitive than the Lunapro (pre-SBC). I understand that the housing looks very similar. But I think that the six goes down to -8 and the pro only to -4 or -6 (hard to tell - since everyone's piped in with a different value). And I DO understand that just because the dial reads out a certain value - that it's not necessarily indicative of the sensitivity. I'm assuming the 'pro is a 'desensitized' meter for the american market only.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin