Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,675   Online: 788

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had mine for a couple years nowq. I works great but has quirks. Make sure it is seated rite. Leave the tip of the pulled darkslide in place or there is a slight light leak. Leaving the edge of the slide in completelly solves the problem. waste a role of 120 and mark the paper as you roll it through. The numbering is close but double check, I overlapped a few images. also I made a window that accurately emulates the framing to put on the back glass so that I did not have any supprises in compisition once the film was proccessed. For the money it really works well.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    I've had mine for a couple years nowq. I works great but has quirks. Make sure it is seated rite. Leave the tip of the pulled darkslide in place or there is a slight light leak. Leaving the edge of the slide in completelly solves the problem. waste a role of 120 and mark the paper as you roll it through. The numbering is close but double check, I overlapped a few images. also I made a window that accurately emulates the framing to put on the back glass so that I did not have any supprises in compisition once the film was proccessed. For the money it really works well.
    I haven't had any of those problems with the Horseman back.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't either with my DaYi 6x17 back.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a postscript - I couldn't decide which to buy, so in the end I bought both! The Chinese one is Da Yi brand, the literature claims that it features improvements over the model first released 2 years ago. It seems well constructed, the light-trapping problem appears to have been fixed, the only cause for concern is that the window to observe the film backing paper has a sliding metal cover but no tinted perspex - not sure how well this would work out of doors.

The Horseman backs costs 4 times as much and feels like it - the major difference is of course the automatic lever winding, which I felt was a major advantage when working at dusk or dawn in dim light, and it feels generally smoother - the Chinese back has obviously been designed for construction with as many flat sheet-metal parts as possible for cheapness but seems fine on a functional level.

Thanks once again for info provided!

Regards,

David

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

new test units available

We have several of the "improved" Focus 6 x 17 and 6 x 12 backs sent here for testing, we were planning to distribute these backs...they are in U.S., are new and in the box if anyone is interested PM me with questions and info, can save some shipping and initial cost on a few of these units....I am very pleased with this product....per cent to Apug..only 3 left of each unit....

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just one point - the Da Yi back includes 2 flat stainless-steel springs, one in each film chamber to maintain tight film winding on the spools. The first time I ran a film through the back (I have a big bag of very outdated 120 I use only to test film winding), the film wound about 2/3 the way through and then snagged on a flat spring and the backing paper ripped! I made a judicious adjustment of the spring with pliers and then ran two more rolls of test film through with no problems.

I would regard this as a design fault insofar as the free end of the flat springs points the opposite way to the direction of rotation of the spools, meaning that if the spring is out of whack, there is the risk of spearing the film.

If Dave Wooten is going to be the US importer of these backs, this might give him enough clout to raise this with the manufacturer!!!!!!!!!!! With this fixed and the film number inspection windows fitted with some light-absorbing perspex, these products wouldn't be bad at all!

Regards,

David

PS: "Garri" asked about delivery - mine took 2 weeks from China to UK, was well packed, somehow arrived without charges for customs clearance and VAT!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't had paper snagging on my DaYi 617 back, but I suspect the manufacture of these things isn't 100% consistent.

David--since you've got both the DaYi and the Horseman, how about running a film flatness test for the rest of us? A well aligned copy shot of a newspaper sheet with lots of fine print and not too many display advertisements should do it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a used Horseman 6x12 back for about a week... but I found the film flatness to be poor. I ran a sacrifice roll through it, removed the dark slide, and found at one end the film was bulging up off the pressure plate 1-2mm. Doing the same thing in a friend's Da Yi back, the film was dead flat. I returned the Horseman and bought a Da Yi. Maybe the Horseman was a bad sample or needed some adjustment.

Jim

www.oneeighth.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks David B. haven t had a problem yet with that....these backs are labeled FOCUS and have windows for 6 x 9, 6 x 12 and 6 x 17...I am sure they are similar....for me I had to master the putting the back on with the springs snaps but have it down pretty well....I am happy with the back, did a lot of NYC street scenes with it as well as the center photo of the APUG flyer Blaze-ON produced for the silver convention...the Brooklyn bridge shot ..for what they are used for and the price they are ok actually, one Apugger posted upgrading the light seal an easy enough task and available...in the past I imported and sold a lot of Russian optics and scopes....this looks like a good product for the money....I have used and tested several of the Focus products for about 12 months now...my present family situation has taken a big change and I will now probably not be making any new ventures in the near future, so that is why I have mentioned these test demo models I have at the present...I had 4 of the 7 x 17 left as of this morning, I now have 2 of the 7 x 17 s left, they work and are new, as is in the box shipped in the U.S., 453.00 loaded with your choice of AGFA APX 100 or 400 expiration date Jan. 01, 2009....yep a stash of the last batch!

Cheers,

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j_landecker
    I had a used Horseman 6x12 back for about a week... but I found the film flatness to be poor. I ran a sacrifice roll through it, removed the dark slide, and found at one end the film was bulging up off the pressure plate 1-2mm. Doing the same thing in a friend's Da Yi back, the film was dead flat. I returned the Horseman and bought a Da Yi. Maybe the Horseman was a bad sample or needed some adjustment.

Jim

www.oneeighth.com
    I think you got one that was badly beaten up. I haven't use my Horseman much, but I haven't found any issues with it. A great piece of equipment.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin