Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,408   Online: 1148

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my Omega/Toyo 45e in the field quite a bit and like it, not all that heavy and I can fit it in a pelican case with no problems at all, if I remember right, they are around $200.00 US right now.

R.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I owned a Technikardan for a year or so. I didn't like it much. You can find out why by reading my review of it on my web site www.ellisgalleries.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure what kind of field photography you are going to do but I second the suggestion of a Graphic View 1 or 2 with a f7.7 203 Ektar or Optar for a starter, inexpensive outfit. You can get either version of the GV with or w/o a Graphlok back, reducing the cost of the GV further if you can live without roll holders etc.
    bart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're from the Netherlands... and you never mention Cambo as one of your options????

My parents (and most parents I assume) have an expression for situations like this: "champane taste and a beer budget". You might get lucky and find one of your options within your price range, but the more affordable options (Cambo, Graphic View) are well worth considering because they'll get the job done for you and are sure to be within budget. Have you considered a press camera, like SuperGraphic or Crown Graphic?

I use a Cambo and have been rather happy with it in the field... so long as I'm not shooting too far from the car. I can drag it over unimproved trails using a two-wheeled luggage trolley, but climbing steep inclines is out of the question. But that shouldn't be an issue in Holland, should it??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For the field, but no backpacking, I don't think you're going to be able to put together a system with a Toho, Arca-Swiss F-line, Sinar F2, or Technikardan for under $600 (USD).

I'd look for a Sinar F or F1. These are a great bargain right now if you want a precision monorail (there are very few functional differences between the F, F1, and F2), there are lots of parts and accessories available for them second hand, and it's easy to rent lenses on Sinar boards in major cities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a cambo 4x5 at school, and cambo is just not a field monorail. I really do need it to be designed for field use.

For now, I really like to hear if any of the monorails I listed are good for the field. Is the sinar the big winner since it is cheaper than the others? Is the linhof color workable, or will it leave me wanting something else quick?
    Lenses I plan on using will be a 150mm and a large angle, maybe a 90mm or 120mm. that's it. I hardly use tele lenses right now.

the Toyo 45e is a folding camera right?

So hope for some more!! thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I'm confused... then what exactly is a "field monorail"?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Sinar F-series cameras are more workable in the field than most people realize. You can pack them in three different ways, depending on how compact or how quick you need to be. Detentes, levels and scales make them very quick and easy to set up, even if you need to disassemble for packing. The weight is comparable to a Linhof Technika.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to check *!@#$-Bay. Sinar Bron in the US sometimes sells its inventory of demo units for a good price. I got a notice that they put a couple of Sinar F2's on sale with lenses for $600.

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Ole,

The plastic locking knobs on the monorail BOTH broke on the last one I owned (Araldite solved that) and I have seen others with the same problem. Maybe it requires poor storage (UV or heat, maybe) but the problem is unlikely to have diminished over the decades.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin