Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,080   Posts: 1,635,593   Online: 873

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I want to buy a field monorail

Hi guys,

I know I want to photograph large format, 4x5. I do a lot of my photography in the field, though no hiking like you americans do a lot.
    I want a monorail for that purpose for several reasons, which I won't dive into now. That will keep this thread simpler.

I have seen there are quite some monorails for the field. I will list them in this post, and hope for comments and comparions from you so I can make a better decision. Suggestion for field monorails I forgot and should check out are welkom too off course. I have a budget and can only spend 600 total for my 4x5 outfit. Second hand seems the way to go.

these are the ones I spotted:

[COLOR=DarkRed]linhof color[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]linhof technikardan[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]toyo vx125R[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]arca swiss F[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]sinar F2[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Toho 45[/COLOR]

hope to hear as much as possible. THANKS!!!!

Game

[COLOR=Navy][edit] I added the toho view [/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Toho (not the same as Toyo). Ultra-light, wonderful cameras, though Horseman roll-film backs do need to have the second ridge milled off in order to fit. I've been using them for years.

Technikardans are excellent too, with superb movements and interchangeable bellows, but heavier and slower to set up. I have one of these too!

I've also tried the VX125R (reviewing it for magazines) and it's very nice but expensive.

The Linhof Color is pretty basic, with limited movements, and the locking knobs tend to break. I have had a couple in the past but not for years.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the sinar
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    My vote, which includes consideration for systems flexibility and costs, are for the Arca Swiss F.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [SIZE=1]helpfull to know too, is ho easy they set up and pack....

thanks so far, game[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, seems to me if you want one of these (except for the Color) you might have to up your budget. When lucky, you might be able to get just the camera for that amount of money, no neat extras like lensboards, lenses, compendiums etc. etc.

We use a Graphic View II in the field, as well as Peco Junior and a Pecoflex (which is mad as it is so heavy). Of course, these are all obsolete cameras, but that's why they can be had cheap. The Junior cost me only 125 EUR or so. Lots of cash left over for lenses, film backs etc. Being in Europe, you have good access as well to the used Cambo and Plaubel market, but then, they can be heavy (except for the Peco Junior).

You could also try to find a nice Sinar Norma kit, saw one go with 4 lenses + accessories last year for a mere 450 euros. Nearly indestructable, or so I've been told.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Are you sure you can buy each of the cameras listed for the target price? Is that Euros? I saw a Technikardan S sell second hand at the Large Format View Camera Conference a couple of weeks ago for $1900 US. I paid $2200 several years ago and got two good lenses and several accessories, but 600 $ or Euros is way below this. By the way I like the camera very much, but prefer larger formats now.

John Powers

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used a Linhof Color for years, and can only recommend it. I never had anything break, either? I packed camera, six lenses from 90mm Super-Angulon to 360mm Tele-Xenar, ten holders, light meter, extra film, changing bag etcetera in a small Lowepro S&F Rovr Lite backpack.

I sold it about a month ago after buying a Carbon Infinity - the "ultimate field Monorail", but waaay out of your budget.

http://perso.orange.fr/christophe.me...%20format.html
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe I am a little off budget with the listed camera
    But maybe each one has older versions which are more affordable?

the sinar f2 sells for 500 dollar incl. lens quitte a lot. The arca is nicer I think but also more expensive. The f2 is not really a field monorail I thought.
    But as I said, if you have better suggestions for 4x5 field monorails ... I am more than happy to hear so.
    the suggested cambo is not field I think.

thanks Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    game

what kind of lenses were you thinking of using ?

there is a graphic view 1 in the classifieds right now ( lens, film holders and fiber box included ). looks like a good deal

i had a graphic view 2 and it was a great camera ( i still miss it )
    took it on location all the time ( documented a quarry with it -- close to 200 negatives delivered ). the only reason i sold mine was because i needed to be able to use a 65mm lens, and while i was able to use a 90mm with a recessed lens board without a problem ( full movements ) i knew the 65 was going to be a tough customer.

sometimes expensive / exquisite isn't always the best

good luck

--john

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin