Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,653   Online: 979

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd go with acetone as well, however; Beware of hardware-store acetone..
    Especially ones from WalMart, they are loaded with stuff to hamper those who use their solvents for clandestine drug manufacture. Things that won't dissolve cleanly, etc. So i've read. It might not be a big deal at all because you aren't boiling the stuff down, you know?

The best lens cleaner (commercial, that is) that i've used is the Rexton Optyl-7 stuff. Note that this won't really remove things that are stubborn.
    Just clean it nice and easily, not too rough. You knew that though, i'm sure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hannibal crossed the alps with vinegar... if it can break down boulders, maybe it can break down calcium

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I did try the vinegar last evening. Swabbed full strength with a cotton pad and rinsed about 3 times. It didn't touch the nasty deposits. I'll move on to acetone tonight.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Maybe if I screw a good sized lens shade on and drink my red wine out of it for the next month? Not that fond of white wine. My daddy brought me up on dago red. Actually I'm considering Curt's suggestion carefully.
    Are you sure that wasn't a dagor red?

Sorry...had to do it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Well, I did try the vinegar last evening. Swabbed full strength with a cotton pad and rinsed about 3 times. It didn't touch the nasty deposits. I'll move on to acetone tonight.
    And?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would let it soak for a while in the vinegar - those deposits took a while to form.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Jim,

"In a worse case scenario, use rottenstone or whiting mixed 1:1:1 with ethyl alcohol (denatured will do but everclear or other 95% grain alcohol is better) and distilled water. Rub it on lightly with a soft and clean cotton rag, and wipe the dust off.

This mixture is a great glass cleaner detailed in 19th century manuals, usually used to clean glass before coating it with collodion. It will in my experience not scatch uncoated glass, but will ruin a coated lens..."

You can use "Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish" for the same results, it's even finer and will not remove any glass, just use really soft paper towels. Careful, it will remove the paint from the beauty ring. If this does not remove the stain, it needs repolishing.

********** DO NOT TRY THIS ON A COATED LENS ************

Bad thing do happen to good people.
    Good luck with it, nice lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    And?

tim in san jose
    Sorry, I've been at a standstill for a couple of reasons. Haven't tried the acetone yet. My internet connection has failed so I haven't been able to chatter much. Plus, I've been pushing on getting my '39 Ford Pickup running so a lot of things that I would have done are sitting. Tonight I immersed the surface in orange juice and will leave overnight. I also discovered a 2nd lens is affected but not as badly. Hope I can get some results. For you gearheads, first road trip in the '39 today. 55 miles to Goldfield NV and return.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well???

"Enquiring minds want to know"

Hope it didn't become a really expensive spittoon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin