Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,291   Online: 1025

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another option to the spanners would be to take a long nosed plier And grind the tips flat. Parrallel to the opening direction. This gives you an easily handled spanner that works well IF the lens cells don't protrude too far.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

Tony "Apart from that any tips or homemade devices to unscrew retaining rings? Apply blowtorch? Immerse in boiling water? Spray with WD40?.... or something that really works."

WHAT??? What type of lens / camera? Besides the tools already mentioned look out for set screws or bonding glue, many process lenses have either or both. Some techs painted the threads shut and it would need acetone to loosen it.

Just be careful with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My poor attempt at dry humour... I would never try those methods....
    Just bought a set of 3 lens spanners on eBay for $24. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the smaller rings, I have a couple of needle nose pliers that I have ground the tips on, to the thickness of the average retaining ring groove width. No wobble or fear of bending. Whatever you use, use it with great care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a home-made wrench, close to the ones showed in nsmith01tx's link, and it works fine. It's just a matter of metal cutting/filing, and costs nothing but a few minutes

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I shelled out for one of SK Grimes' superb spanners, and they are really worth it to me (but I have four times as many lenses as cameras, and only one lens board in each size for each camera - sizes 00, 0, 1, 2, and Compound 3).

I do however have one problem: A dirt cheap Symmar 300/500mm is GLUED to a Technika board! That wasn't too bad, but now I've sold my last Linhof, and none of my cameras use Technika boards...

Anyone with a good idea? I'll offer a G-Claron 150/9 with usable shutter as a price for the best suggestion!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ole, any idea what glue?

If it's epoxy, Loctite or something similar, or even white glue (and assuming the shutter has no soft plastic parts -- unlikely if 1950s or older vintage; heat won't hurt bakelite at all, but celluloid shutter or aperture leaves is a possibility to beware of even in early 20th century vintage shutters), remove the glass and put the board and shutter in the oven; heat to about 100-120 C (lowest setting, or "Warm" -- my oven has a setting for 200 F/95 C, but some start at 250 F/120 C), and you'll probably find the glue is softened enough to get the shutter off the board and/or unscrew the retaining ring. If not, gradually increase temperature to a maximum of 150 C -- don't go any higher than that.

That level of heat shouldn't soften or anneal any steel springs, though it's almost certain to require a CLA to deal with migrated lubricants. Nor should it harm either wood or metal lens boards, though it'll blister your skin if you aren't slightly cautious... And it'll do no harm if the glue turns out to be something that doesn't soften with heat like celluloid househould cement or cyanoacrylate (both of the latter, BTW, respond to acetone, but that will remove paint from both wood and metal, will craze, soften, or curl most plastics, and is flammable and toxic enough to require considerable caution in use).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Donald, I'll give it a try in the oven!
    Norway

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WOOOO! It worked!

After 45 minutes at 120 C, the retaining ring (flange) screwed right off! And best of all - the Compound #4 shutter still works fine at all settings

So now I have a fine Symmar 300/500 convertible for use with my 24x30cm camera, and a spare Technika lens board with flange for #4 Compound.

Donals, PM me an address to send the 150 G-Claron to. The lens is fine, the shutter is an old Zeiss-Ikon Compur which originally must have held a 105mm lens: All f-stop markings are precise, but one full stop off. All times are "within reason" as of this morning (give or take 10%).
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don, you da man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin