Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,041   Online: 929

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Plaubel Peco 10 X 15/9 X 12 -- worth a shot?

I've got a chance to pick up a Plaubel Peco Junior -- most of what I see on the web refers to these as 6X9 cameras, but the front standard of this camera is marked 10X15/9X12. Bellows are shot, so I'd have to find new ones. Comes with a funky (but looks like Plaubel-made) back that has a vertical 6X9 groundglass, and space next to it for a roll-film back. You focus on the glass, then slide the panel sideways to shoot the image. Comes with a somewhat tatty Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 150mm f/4, and a frozen 90mm Angulon (if I remember correctly).

I like the camera because it oozes precision craftsmanship from 50 years ago. The camera and rail are in pretty good shape, though the lubricants will need to be cleaned off and replaced.

Any thoughts on what value this would have? I can probably get it for around $200, assuming I can talk my wife into it! Can I find replacement bellows? Am I out of my mind?

Shooter
    35mm
    The Plaubel cameras were well made. The back that the camera comes with will be very handy. My guess would be that you will need to get a custom made bellows. If the camera is sound, other than the bellows, and you have good use for a 6x9 view camera then $200.00 is a decent price I would suspect.

If you do not need the camera, then do your wife a favor and forget it.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    PLAUBEL GmbH
    Carl-Zeiss-Stra▀e 5
    60388 Frankfurt am Main
    Germany
    Fax. +49 6109 36368
    Tel. +49 6109 31018
    E-Mail: info@plaubel.com

They do repair older gear. Whether or not they have your bellows, I don't know, it is possible.

Depending on how damaged the bellows are, they might be repairable.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just took my Peco Junior for it's first outing today and was very happy. It's a relatively light weight monorail, but has some restrictions that need workarounds. It has limited swing movements: look at the front standard and you will see that it has a kind of slider slot on either side. So you can't tie this one into knots like you can with a sinar etc. The sliding back may be helpful - but look if it can be used in horizontal and vertical position! Mine came with a dedicated 4x5" graflok back on which you can only use rollfilm holders in portrait position - there is simply no room to rotate the GG with the holder attached and most modern rf holders are too wide to fit within back standard's space. We did a little remodeling en put an old Linhof international back on it that is a bit smaller than the dedicated back. With this, the problem is solved.
    The normal bellows sometimes pop up on eBay but are a bit stiff, so even with a 150mm lens I find I have not much freedom of movement. Watch for a wide angle bellows, I found mine, a very tattered one, on eBay after three months waiting. Bellows can be replaced, but what is important are the metal bits with which it attaches to the camera.

Other than that: please give Plaubel a ring. I've had several contacts with them and they have always been helpful. There are still some parts available from old new stock, so it is worth checking out. Prices are very reasonable. A new knob only cost me 25 euro and they threw in free photocopies of the camera parts listing plus numbers (essential for eBay hunting).

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions you're afraid to ask Plaubel, lemme know.

Norm
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Bellows can be replaced, but what is important are the metal bits with which it attaches to the camera.
    That is a good point!
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks one and all. I'll be living in Paris come September, so getting parts from Frankfurt wouldn't be too hard. Let's see how this plays out...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    A 6x9 view camera is a big upgrade for someone that has only shot 35mm before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    A 6x9 view camera is a big upgrade for someone that has only shot 35mm before.
    It's an even bigger upgrade, as he's looking at the 4x5" version.

(BTW Petzi, wasn't that the name of a hedgehog in a children's book - or is it just short for Petzval?)
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin