Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,969   Posts: 1,523,457   Online: 960

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ExOfficio safari-style shirts have two large pockets, and you can fit a Grafmatic in each one, but in warm weather, they can get moist.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

I have the quickload holder as well, but back then they didn't exist as is now.

So, I can use either, but I feel more comfortable with what I learned on.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you're usually in an urban setting? I'd look for an over-the-shoulder type bag at an outdoor store like REI/EMS/MEC etc. Backpacks are definitely kinder to your body, but it takes more effort to deal with taking off & putting on the backpack and that might influence your decision to stop and shoot. Likewise belt packs would hang the weight from the hips, which is ideal, but you definitely won't blend into an urban situation. Maybe something like this?

http://www.eaglecreek.com/40358.html

Some improvised cardboard inserts would do a pretty good job of sorting the holders out.

And don't overlook the wellspring of ingenuity when it comes to hauling stuff: diaper bags. A film holder has about the same dimensions as a size 4 Pampers Cruiser. If you can stomach the horde of ecstatic/panicky parents-to-be (like me a few years ago), a visit to Babies-R-Us could be productive.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derevaun
    It sounds like you're usually in an urban setting? I'd look for an over-the-shoulder type bag at an outdoor store like REI/EMS/MEC etc. Backpacks are definitely kinder to your body, but it takes more effort to deal with taking off & putting on the backpack and that might influence your decision to stop and shoot. Likewise belt packs would hang the weight from the hips, which is ideal, but you definitely won't blend into an urban situation. Maybe something like this?

http://www.eaglecreek.com/40358.html

Some improvised cardboard inserts would do a pretty good job of sorting the holders out.

And don't overlook the wellspring of ingenuity when it comes to hauling stuff: diaper bags. A film holder has about the same dimensions as a size 4 Pampers Cruiser. If you can stomach the horde of ecstatic/panicky parents-to-be (like me a few years ago), a visit to Babies-R-Us could be productive.
    Might have to pick up something like the eaglecreek bag for 5x7, it's a little big for 4x5. I've been using a cooler bag to carry 5x7 camera, cloth, and holders, but it's a little bulky. For 4x5 and 2x3 I guess I need to get some cargo shorts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've been using a cheep-o camera bag - one of those fake leather rectangular ones. fits film holders perfectly (upto 5x7) and has a shoulder strap. i was recently given a bike messenger bag as a gift and it looks like it will fit everything i need ( upto 8x10 holders) ...

--john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used the Gnass bags for my 4x5 & 8x10 holders. For my 5x12 holders, I'm using a laptop bag that the IT people at work said I could keep when they took the laptop back.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    ....and when you are 66 and carrying a 7x17
    http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm

Don't laugh. You will be there (larger camera or older body) sooner than you think, or not.

John Powers
    John, I've made the same baby-jogger recommendations on another board, and people seem more concerned about their "image" rather than their back. I've hung onto our kids' baby jogger for that specific purpose. With a few bungie cords it's an excellent set-up for any conditions where there are groomed trails, I even use on steps. I only wish I'd got the one with 20" wheels...one-pin removal the thing folds up to go in the trunk or back of the van...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm ... I carry my Ebony 4x5, 2 lenses, 12 holders, compendium hood, four B&W filters, and Bellows focusing hood in my old Lowe Pro 35 camera bag. I put the holders in a couple of 8x10 black bags (from 8 x 10 paper) to keep them clean and light free. No problems carrying.
    Cheers
    Doug

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Bob;

I have the quickload holder as well, but back then they didn't exist as is now.

So, I can use either, but I feel more comfortable with what I learned on.

PE
    I can certainly understand Ron. For me, I lost my desire to load film holders a long time ago . I like being able to just grab a box of film and head out the door.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I can certainly understand Ron. For me, I lost my desire to load film holders a long time ago . I like being able to just grab a box of film and head out the door.
    Have you tried the velvia in the quick loads?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin