Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,486   Online: 761

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Carrying sheet film holders

I've been trying to take more long walks, on which I usually carry a camera, or two. A lot of what I see to shoot is architecture, so I've wanted to carry a large format camera around, and while I can easily throw a tripod over my shoulder and carry the Speed Graphic or Horseman in hand, I haven't found a good way to carry the film. In cool weather I wear cargo pants with two holders per side, but they feel a little awkward. Has anyone found a better solution, short of wearing a backpack? I'm thinking about something like a surplus cartridge belt, but I'm not sure what size would fit the various holders (2x3 and 4x5).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justin Gnass (brother of Jeff) makes some very nice Holder files. I had him make one for my QL/Readyload holder and up to about 40 sheets of QL/Readyload film. The Holder files have attachment points for a strap. Justin makes some really nice products and they are very well designed and made. Here is the link:

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/pr...pcode=PG-84632

Hope this helps.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I purchased a couple of the Calumet cut film cases to use for this purpose, as they have belt loops on them. But I found them awkward to actually have hanging off my belt.

Although I don't have one yet, I would like to buy a grafmatic 6 sheet magazine holder as the ideal solution for me. That way I can just carry my Speed Graphic with the grafmatic in the camera and only have one package to carry. I don't usually expose more than 6 sheets of film on my casual walks, so the grafmatic would be ideal.

Another possible solution is a soft-sided cooler. I have one that I was given at the end of a construction project that is just big enough to hold my Speed and a few cut film holders and my meter. It is small enough to be very little trouble to sling over my shoulder and carry around. And the insulation padding helps to protect the camera from damage.

Of course if you want something very nice, Kevin Saitta makes custom cases for this purpose. See www.kjsphotography.com

Harold
    Last edited by HPorter; 07-02-2006 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I should really use that neat little spell check tool....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The only thing I consider if I have to carry heavy weights any distance is a backpack. I'm 56 years old and my back has had enough abuse already!

(Or of course I park nearer the subject -- the Ansel Adams approach!)

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    The only thing I consider if I have to carry heavy weights any distance is a backpack. I'm 56 years old and my back has had enough abuse already!

(Or of course I park nearer the subject -- the Ansel Adams approach!)

Cheers,

Roger

....and when you are 66 and carrying a 7x17
    http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm

Don't laugh. You will be there (larger camera or older body) sooner than you think, or not.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear John,

Nah, I don't like miniature formats. My 12x15 Gandolfi Universal (with 3 holders, in case, with 3 loaded holders and one lens) weighs near enough 30 kg, 66 lb. DEFINITELY one where you park nearer the subject.

My point, of course, was that over-the-shoulder bags, or anything carried in the hand, are a lot harder on the back than backpacks.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've been carrying 4x5 holders in a lunchbox-sized insulated, collapsible cooler. I've got a few of them, some were free as premiums from various companies, some I bought for a few dollars at places like Walmart. They're made by companies like Rubbermaid. I can put 5 or 6 holders and a meter in there.

For 8x10 holders, again I found a very inexpensive insulated tote bag, about the size of one of those Lands End totebags. I fit 10 8x10 holders in it. When fully loaded, it's heavy, but they're protected from dust, dirt, rain (it zips closed) and heat.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 4x5 and anything smaller, I use a Waist Belt Production Pack made by Portabrace. I bought mine from B&H.

It's two small packs on a belt - I've found one carries all the accessories one would need - meter, filters, lens cleaners, lenses, etc. while the other side will carry a half dozen 4x5 filmholders with no trouble. Carrying the weight on the waist is very easy.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest a shoulder bag such as a Lowepro Nova series. I use one to carry my lenses, light meters etc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might look at APUGs own Kevin Saitta (look on the sponsor page), he is always ready to make cases to order. I've talked to him on Skype and he is an all round nice guy, and a pleasure to do business with.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin