Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,424   Online: 718

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Crown Graphic - better screen

Looking for suggestions for where to buy a brighter screen for my Crown Graphic

Not looking for a plain glass screen rather something like the fresnel screens fitted to Wista's and Cambo's both of which are at least 2 stops brighter.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have the original screen in your graphic? You might want to take a look at a Maxwell or a Bettie, take into account both of them are very expensive, but good, what model of graphic do you have, many of the graphics had factory fresnels which have been lost over the years. If you want a Wista style screen you could purchase one and have it cut down to fit your graphic, as the Wista is quite a bit bigger than the Graphic cameras, the screens in the graphics are smaller than 4x5 inches, the normal graphic is 3 15/16th by 4 13/16 inches and the Wista is bigger than 4x5..

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would check with Dave at SatinSnow
    http://www.satinsnowglass.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, I purchased a fresnel screen (2X3) last year from Midwest Photo Exchange. web site midwest Photo Exchange. Service and price were good.
    I am now looking into purchasing a snow glass to go with it which is supossed to make it brighter yet, web site - gglass@satinsnowglass.com.
    Hope this helps.
    Walt Sharp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an original Graphic screen and never had a fresnel fitted.

Thanks I've emailed Bill Maxwell to find out the price. I've a Beattie screen on my 10"x8" so know the quality and ease of use but too expensive, (mine came free with the camera).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you will find the Maxwells although good, are up there in price as well, if I remember right, is the same range as the Beattie screens, I am surprised your crown didn't have a fresnel, that is the oddity, most of the crowns were equipped from the factory with the ekatlite screen, but I have seen a few over the years that didn't if you have the orginal glass, anything you buy is going to be brighter, the orginal graphics screens were sandblasted and were not bright to begin with, and after years of accumulated dirt and enviormental contaminents they get quite dim, until you figure out how you want to go, you might just take yours out and wash with warm water and some mild dish detergent, that will help alot.

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've an original graflex screen with ektalite fresnel. It's pretty bright.
    I can't afford a Maxwell anything. I'd love one for my hassy though.
    I'd go with Roxi331 too, about cleaning the screen. I use windex usually if it's real dirty.

Satin Snow screens are very reasonably priced but they aren't a bright screen.
    I'm looking to buy a Satin Snow screen though, they get some great reviews from this site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a SatinSnow on both my 4x5 and 5x7 and can highly trcommend them. Focusing is so easy with them.
    And the price is great!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a satin snow on my Shen-Hao. I really don't think it is that much brighter than the stock screen, but I sure like not having the grid lines. It is much brighter than the stock screen on my Crown Graphic. I really should get one ordered for the Graphic soon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin