Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,684   Online: 939

Shooter
    Multi Format

Toyo 4x5 lensboard

I've got the CX model with the 110mm by 110mm size board. I'm wondering how can I make one and what materials to use. I have tried to make it from masonite (clipboard) but it flakes easily which means won't be long lasting. Any ideas? Also, any ideas who might be selling used ones?

Thanks all.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    1. They are on e bay from time to time..you need the boards for field cameras..the Toyo studio camera is much larger....

2. Home depot...small square boards used for flooring...like pergo etc...works really good...comes in different wood grain and colors...it is not real wood however is very functional and will hold up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could also buy Canham boards. They are the same size as Toyo but are less expensive. Around $35.00. They are made out of machined aluminum and are quite nice.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you! I had no idea that Canham boards are the same dimension. Also, Dave, thanks for the idea about Pergo. I re-floored my house last summer and I have quite a bit of that left in my attic. I'm going to experiment with it.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Canham boards I have seen are 6" boards...I have not seen the Canham 4 x 5/5x7 however is it smaller? I have used toyo boards on Canham 11 x 14.....had a problem with the Nevada heat expanding the metal board and proved difficult to remove...had to take camera back off and push the lens off from the back....it was however around 100 degrees plus....

You need a 4.25 inch square board i.e. 110 mm Toyo 4 x 5 field camera.

Toyo 4 x 5 studio-monorail camera boards are 6 1/8+ (6 9/64 in) measures 156 mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both the 110mm Toyo boards for the field cameras (and, the CX) and the 159mm Toyo boards for the monorails and 8x10s are made of metal with the edges moulded over to 90°. The inward-facing edges fit into a little trough in the standard, forming a light "seal". Thus, if you make your own boards out of wood or other material, you'll want a "stepped" edge to form a light seal with the inner edge of the opening in the standard. Plus, you'll want a thiner area around the lens hole for the retaining ring. A difference of about 3/8" in the hole sizes usually works well, but measure the retaining ring of the specific lens to be certain.

With thin materials like Pergo or other flooring, the easy way to accomplish both is to simply laminate two pieces, having cut and drilled the inner piece prior to assembly. Be sure to run the grain of the inner board at right angles to the grain of the outer board for greater strength and warpage prevention. The corners of the Toyo boards are also rounded slightly.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have made several 159mm lensboards out of .090 aluminum, with a self adhesive foam strips that act as a light seal along the edge of the lensboard.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    The Canham boards I have seen are 6" boards...I have not seen the Canham 4 x 5/5x7 however is it smaller? I have used toyo boards on Canham 11 x 14.....had a problem with the Nevada heat expanding the metal board and proved difficult to remove...had to take camera back off and push the lens off from the back....it was however around 100 degrees plus....

You need a 4.25 inch square board i.e. 110 mm Toyo 4 x 5 field camera.

Toyo 4 x 5 studio-monorail camera boards are 6 1/8+ (6 9/64 in) measures 156 mm
    Thanks Dave! Good thought on the metal LB, I live in 100+ degrees (Phoenix, AZ) so I will be careful...

On the other hand, I found a local seller who has a few Canham boards, I'm going to see him in a couple of days and check the fit. If it seems too tight I'll pass, thinking of the heat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin