Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,324   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Greedy Zhenya, or another uncoated 135/4.5 lens for $30... :)

Hello friends,

it looks like I'm going down the Detective Brettschneider's route, remember this guy from Hasek's Brave Soldier Svejk? He kept buying dogs from Svejk to wheedle out some info from him, and he ended up being eaten with all the pack collected

Today I've got a speckless, perfect specimen of Schneider Xenar 135/4.5 in dial-set Compur (working fine, a small handle on the diaphragm lever down there is broken off - that's nothing). Made around 1929, the glass is perfect - there's not a single scratch. Well, that's the third lens of this class I possess, am I nuts? But that was only $30... would this Xenar be any good, or pictorially different with, say, echt Zeiss Tessar 135/4.5 of the same time?

Call me crazy, but looks like there I am - Zhenya

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No, I would not call you crazy. I call you very fortunate....who could pass up such a great deal? Good show!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A clear case of GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome, but there is no need to see a shrink about that. lol

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have this lens and like it a lot. The only problem for me is that it has a coverage of 160mm, just covers 4X5 without ANY movement. I can't speak to the Tesar but I do not see any reason to replace mine except for the coverage.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the club, Zhenya!

I've got one of those too - and a 135/3.5 Xenar Typ D, a 135/4.5 Tessar, a 150/4.5 Xenar (late-ish), a 150/9 G-Claron, a 150/9 Germinar-W, a 150/4.5 Apo-Lanthar, a 150/4.5 Heliar, a 135/4.5 Eurynar - and that's only the ones in working shutters!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just dispatched 3 guys..big and burly..along with what I hope is a jacket that will fit you. You should be able to lick this insidious disease..it has been given the name of Oleoldlensdeepfiord syndrome..if you stay away from your computer and do not drink beverages sold by Olaf and James Galli vinters of diffraction.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd rather lick an ice cream cone than lick an insideous disease. But that's only me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with you Brian. An ice cream cone makes a wonderful choice if nothing better is available.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, the next time you feel tempted to buy a lens that's like several you have already, calculate how many ice cream cones you'll have to give up to pay for it. Is the lens worth it? I bet not!

Cheers,

Dan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, I have no direct experience with Xenar lenses, but I don't find there's a visible difference between my ca. 1935 Skopar 13.5 cm f/4.5 and my pair of ca. 1926 CZJ Tessars of the same specification. I'd have to do side-by-side testing to be certain, but surely there's no difference that would show in, say, an 18x24 cm print from 9x12 cm film...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin