Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,610   Online: 1147

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Graphic lensboards--Anny board on Pacemaker kludge

Hello,

let's say someone wanted to put a 4x4 lensboard from an Anniversary Speed (or other camera) onto a Pacemaker Speed. From what I read/see, the pacemaker boards are not square and they have rounded corners. Can one manage for a day with gaffer's tape to use the lens/lensboard from the Anny on the Pacemaker?

Thanks,

Matt

(who really owns a B&J press)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt - The fact you had nerve enough to ask the question means it will work for you. You understand the Magic of Gaffers Tape. Seriously, I held a Anni board up to the front standard of a Crown, and while it will take careful taping, I don't see why it won't work. The back of the Anni board comes up against the screws that hold the lens board clips on the Crown, so the lens focus plane may not be absolutely parallel with the GG plane, but it is probably close enough if you are stopped down a bit. Do a flashlight test for light leaks, of course, then shoot away.

If you want to have fun, post a similar question on one of the Leica forums - "I want test a screw mount lens on my M3 and don't have an adapter. Can I gaffers tape it on?".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    One can try almost anything as an experiment. BUT -most of the Gaffers Tape I have necountered is not lightproof. Although it is black, it is porous. I learned this the hard way.

Buy a roll of black photographic tape which is very similar to, but heavier, than masking tape, and use it to block the light, then I think your idea will work.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt, I have a few spare graphic lens boards (for the 4x5 size camera). What size hole do you need? I've also made due with a lensboard fashioned out of corregated cardboard and black electrical tape.

Drop me an email and I'll drop what ever I can in the mail for you.

Brad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been making lens boards for my Crown Graphic out of 1/8" craft plywood: 2 pieces glued back-to-back, one slightly smaller to fit into the recessed portion of the front standard. The only tool I use is a hand drill with a sanding wheel to shape and finish the boards and a hole-cutting bit to cut the holes for the shutter threads and the jam nut. It takes about 30 minutes, start to finish, and when the glue is dry, I spray paint them flat black. It took me a try or two to get the shaping exactly right (corners, sloping top & bottom edges) but now I have the template and I have made 4 and they all work great. They are significantly more permanent that the previous arrangement I had (cardboard gaskets mounted on an aluminum lens board with a very large hole in it) and I don't have to screw around with tape and gaskets when I want to change lenses. I'd be happy to share my "wisdom" about fitting to the Crown Graphic, if anyone is interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Folks,

thanks for the advice! I sent a loaner lens and lensboard to someone who may have a pacemaker, may have an anniversary speed. Either way, it sounds like there is some quick way to make this work (at least temporarily).

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey
    I have been making lens boards for my Crown Graphic out of 1/8" craft plywood: 2 pieces glued back-to-back, one slightly smaller to fit into the recessed portion of the front standard. ...
    This is the method many folks use - it's a great solution: it's easy, and there's NO way such a board is going to warp or otherwise change shape. For my 2D I give 'em a coat of a Minwax product, Bombay Satin or something like that, which looks an awful lot like mahogany. Lot's of folks glue a piece of veneer on it for an even better look.

Nathan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin