Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,781   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studio Stand

Shooter
    Medium Format

Studio Stand

I am kicking myself over an auction that I totally neglected to check up on. I missed out on a Arkay studio stand that went for a mere $20 and some odd change. I've looked around and this seems like a fluke- a stand that cheap?! Everywhere else they seem to go for $200 or more. Does anyone know of a place that I might be able to pick up a decent entry level studio stand (if there is such a thing as "entry level" lol) at decent price??

My other question is this. Is it possible to make a studio stand?? After perusing Google link after link I've noticed that some stands are spring loaded, similar to some enlargers with metal band running up the column. Others seem to use a arm that essentially works like a cam. If I were to find an arm like the latter, would I be able to fit it on a basic length of pipe in an already available width?? Welding a rolling base would not be a problem as I have access to all the materials. Just a thought. Besides- it might be kinda fun to make one. I'm more the hands on kinda guy anyway!

Any thoughts on the subject??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it is worth, I built a studio stand about 30 years ago, and it is still in operation in a commercial studio. I mounted rollers onto a triangle of 3/4 inch cold rolled plate. I machined a pivot to fit into the center of the tri angle and welded it square square (plumb) The top of the pivot was machined to the inside diameter of thick wall 3 inch pipe. The pipe 8 feet long fit over the pivot like a socket. The arm and attachment to the vertical post were made of air craft aluminum 1 inch x 5 inch wide. I made the attachment out of two sheets of the same 3/4 inch plate that looked a bit like the letter "P" The open part of the ''P" fit down over the vertical standard
    with the arm bolted to the leg of the P. I used a pulley as a counter balance
    guide from the arm to the top of the standard, with a stranded cable attached to a weight designed to go down the center of the pipe for easier raising and lowering. I designed a cam type locking device to fit on the P attachment to restrict and controll up and down. I uses a simple 2 inch ID pipe on the end of the arm to mount an old Chicago geared head. Total cost then was about $200.00 The point is yes this type of device can be built at home. Your imagination and a few special tools will help a bunch.

Charlie................................

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Studio stands can often be had cheap, but the issue is usually transportation. If it's local to you, and you can pick it up, it can be a good deal. I have a Linhof pedestal type stand.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a stand similar to a camera stand that was originally made for medical equipment. It was declared surplus by the University of Iowa many years ago because it was damaged. Something like this might save a lot of work in making one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuffy

My other question is this. Is it possible to make a studio stand??

Any thoughts on the subject??
    Peterson Photographic put out a book called "How To Make Your Own Photographic Equipment." In it, there are plans for buidling your own studio stand. It looks like a pretty good design.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I built a wooden studio stand loosely based on the peterson design. It has worked fine for me for 16 years of use with my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 cameras. I built it to have the counter weight but never placed the weight inside the column. It's worked fine. Also it breaks down into three large parts, so I can travel and use it in other studio locations.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can certainly make one, but I would advise you to get some hands-on experience of a ready-made stand (if you haven't already) and then ask yourself in all honesty if you feel you can make a stand as smooth, steady and precise as the commercially-made item. A really well-made stand will weigh 300 lbs or so and will be rock solid, while at the same time allowing raising or lowering with astonishingly little effort. Any lack of smoothness in raising or lowering will drive you nuts, and so will lack of weight - if the stand is not heavy enough, you will not feel confident in using it with a big camera at full height and full arm extension. As others have said, if you are able to transport a stand yourself (including a one-piece column 10 feet or more long), you will probably find one in your area going cheap before too long! It goes without saying that a studio stand is not worth considering unless you have a studio with a good solid concrete floor which is smooth (nothing to ruck up and tip the stand over when you move it!).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Peterson Photographic put out a book called "How To Make Your Own Photographic Equipment." In it, there are plans for buidling your own studio stand. It looks like a pretty good design.
    Peter-
    I checked Amazon and the only listing that comes up is a book that was published in 1941, sound about right? Or is there something newer? It would make a bit of sense because there would have been heavier cameras in use then.

Until then I shall keep my eyes peeled for a good used one!
    Thanks all!!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Camera Stand

I have looked for one locally (Chicago & Milwaukee area) for about a year. I would of thought these major cities would have several showing up for sale. Nope. I only found 1. Although it was nice, at $700 was more than I wanted to spend. I would have had to cut the 10 foot post to fit my location anyway.

Seemed like all the good deals on eBay were NY or LA, pick up only. Then, while I was contemplating building a stand, several popped up on eBay that were about 350 miles away. Several were shippable. One of the sellers, Columbus Camera, listed shipping for $40. So I called them, they ended the auction early, and shipped my Cambo 7 ft. with Majestic Head. Total cost, $240

I think the cost of building one (unless you have nothing else to do) would have been more in the long run and after using this stand, would not of been as nice. The Majestic head was a bonus. They have several stands and the prices seem reasonable.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the way this turned out. Ironicly, a 10 ft Saltzman (4 ft wide) went unsold on eBay at the starting price of 99 cents. It was a monster stand.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotch - you're truly a lucky person. In fact, you're the first person I've heard of who actually received something from Columbus Camera after paying for it.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin