Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,321   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hassy,Hassy...
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    I'm lucky to have a wife who supports my photography hobby but she has now caused me some level of anguish.

Why?

I already own two Mam 645 bodies and 3 lenses. She knew this.

It was my birthday two weeks back so what did she buy me? A 3 yr old Hasselbdlad 503 CW with 80 mm lens and two A12 backs in excellent condition.

Arrghh!!

I never thought I'd buy a blad as I could never justify the cost and I was happy with my Mams. I can't afford to keep both systems.

Q1. Anyone used/owned both and want to venture opinions on the better system in the long run for a hobbyist?

Q2. Any thoughts on what I should do? Humour is OK. And no, you can't borrow my wife for you next birthday

Glenn

First off, I agree... the second system doesn't cost you anything. The 503 will give you years of pleasure and you don't need to add to it if you never want to. But... if you sell the flexibility of already having three lens and a system with the 645, you'll regret not being able to use just the correct lens for landscape, portraiture or whatnot.

So, if you can sell the Mamiyas and get enough to buy 2 more pieces of Zeiss ware, then do that. If you can't, see where the duplication occurs, if anywhere, sell one lens of the Mamiya and one body. Do NOT sell the 503, for many reasons including the disappointment it would cause a significant other in your life. She bent over backwords to please you.

Me, I would keep it all and use it all. Set up a specific project that allows you to explore the capabilities of the 503 and square shooting, and run with it. Use the Mamiyas just as you always have. It's a win win situation.

Now Caroline, where is that 500CM I know you bought me?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does she have a sister?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Decisions, Decisions!!!!

I think I would go for the Hasselblad too!! I have a 501CM and a 503CX and they're terrific and I've bought most of my glass used at very decent prices less my 150 CFi that I bought new before the big dump of MF gear !! I always thought that the Zeiss glass was unbeatable -- until I made the mistake of trying a Mamiya 7 (II) with 80 mm and for handheld use the Mamiya wins hands down but for studio use (esp. longer lenses and on a tripod ) or the vast array of lenses then the Hassy wins so I'll keep both---for my kid's playing in the yard or a vacation trip the Mamiya 7 II is my first choice but again the lens line up stops at 80 mm for me---I love the square and generally print a square neg into a square print but for handheld use that 6x7 really impresses me and the Mamiya glass I think is sharper than the Hassy lenses---Sorry--I'm rambling but my Mamiya is no dog and I do prefer a wide angle in 6x7 format but that is all subjective isn't it!! Ahh!! Decisions!! I suggest you think twice before unloading a gift from your wife and go for the Hasselblad as the keeper but as someone else mentioned it's a gift so whats the problem --if it were my wife she'd pick it out and I would still foot the bill!! Now what would you do if she got you a D200 or a 5D ? Film or digital???? That would be a dilemma indeed since she got the digital for you!!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JosBurke
    I think I would go for the Hasselblad too!! I have a 501CM and a 503CX and they're terrific and I've bought most of my glass used at very decent prices less my 150 CFi that I bought new before the big dump of MF gear !! I always thought that the Zeiss glass was unbeatable -- until I made the mistake of trying a Mamiya 7 (II) with 80 mm and for handheld use the Mamiya wins hands down but for studio use (esp. longer lenses and on a tripod ) or the vast array of lenses then the Hassy wins so I'll keep both---for my kid's playing in the yard or a vacation trip the Mamiya 7 II is my first choice but again the lens line up stops at 80 mm for me---I love the square and generally print a square neg into a square print but for handheld use that 6x7 really impresses me and the Mamiya glass I think is sharper than the Hassy lenses---Sorry--I'm rambling but my Mamiya is no dog and I do prefer a wide angle in 6x7 format but that is all subjective isn't it!! Ahh!! Decisions!! I suggest you think twice before unloading a gift from your wife and go for the Hasselblad as the keeper but as someone else mentioned it's a gift so whats the problem --if it were my wife she'd pick it out and I would still foot the bill!! Now what would you do if she got you a D200 or a 5D ? Film or digital???? That would be a dilemma indeed since she got the digital for you!!
    Sell it on ebay. buy a hassy
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've used both and used to work in a camera store where I had access to all the glass from both systems. The Mamiya 645 lenses are not the best MF glass by far. Hasselbad lenses,arguably are among the best, if not the best.

The 645 would be great for snapshots or situations where you need to shoot quickly and have a light set up. The Hasselblad would be better for situations where you're on a tripod. All these opinions are of course mine and not worth a tinker's damn, but there you have them!

W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Glenn, Your wife is a very caring and generous lady who has given you a wonderful gift, I would advise you to keep it at all costs " Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ".
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    My first M/F SLR was a Mamiya 645 1000s. I could not afford a 'Blad. I humped that camera over 13,000 ft. in the winter in the Alps. Everything I shot came back overexposed. The cold just sucked the life out of the battery/shutter. And, yes I was using fresh batteries. I swore then I would find a way to buy a Hasselblad. I could not afford to go to europe again without one. By the way, the Mamiya will dent from a drop about ten times easier than a Hasselblad.

I dumped the 645 and bought a 500CM. It is a much better camera. Sell all the Mamiya stuff and buy another lens or two. The price of used Hasselblad gear makes it a deal.

Shooter
    35mm
    For a long term hobbyist who wishes to make a good choice I would recommend the Hasselblad. I own an RZ67 camera and it is quite competent but I feel that a square leaf sheutter camera with CF lenses is going to serve you very nicely indeed and should be very trouble free. The photo quality of good film, Hasselblad primes and a very stable tripod is an extremely competent device.

Whatever you do though stick to one or the other. The cameras are different enough to make switching back and forth a confusing PITA. Better to be adequately equpped with one camera than somewhat adequately equipped with trwo cameras.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A gift is a gift, and especially coming from your wife you shouldn't attempt to get rid of it. Granted, for some items we give each my gf and I have an agreement that exchange or new gift is possible, but that's mostly with clothes and such stuff.

You also have to take her to the restaurant, tell her how much you love her, rub her feet and all the other things you don't have to speak about here.

Having a camera with only one lens can also be a good opportunity for you to slow down your shooting (if you were fast, that is), or to work on composition under constraints.

At any rate, USE your gift. Don't think about money, because gifts are not supposed to be about it. Your expenses haven't gone up because you have a new camera. And make with it a photo that she'll be happy to receive mounted so that she'll see for herself what good use you can make of her gift.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin