Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,267   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad or Mam645? My wife is too generous !

I'm lucky to have a wife who supports my photography hobby but she has now caused me some level of anguish.

Why?

I already own two Mam 645 bodies and 3 lenses. She knew this.

It was my birthday two weeks back so what did she buy me? A 3 yr old Hasselbdlad 503 CW with 80 mm lens and two A12 backs in excellent condition.

Arrghh!!

I never thought I'd buy a blad as I could never justify the cost and I was happy with my Mams. I can't afford to keep both systems.

Q1. Anyone used/owned both and want to venture opinions on the better system in the long run for a hobbyist?

Q2. Any thoughts on what I should do? Humour is OK. And no, you can't borrow my wife for you next birthday

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you like to shoot more? rectangle or square? The 503 is a nice camera, but the Mamiya has 2 bodies and 3 lenses... I am personally a Mamiya shooter (RB though) but the main reason for that is because I'm not big on squares. I think it depends on what format you like shooting more.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wrong forum - sorry...

I realise it should be in Medium format camera forum but can't figure out how to move to that forum area ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Grant, I also have an old Mamiya TLR for 6x6 and I have been very happy with the results I have from it so I think I can easily work with the square format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    Q1. Anyone used/owned both and want to venture opinions on the better system in the long run for a hobbyist?
    I haven't owned both, but I do own a Hassey 503CW - for about 3 years too. I LOVE IT! And, I chose it over all the other MF systems, as a hobbyist, for several reasons:
    1. it's a Hasselblad (brand recognition),
    2. it's well well made and rugged - I have traveled with it now on just about every business trip I go on - that's about once per week for the past two years!
    3. Zeiss glass - nuff said,
    4. it's more or less ubiquitous and therefore I suspect 'easier' to get repairs and spare parts (but I assume a breakdown will 'never' happen - wishful thinking),
    5. I think Hassey will be around longer than the other MF companies,
    6. it's a Hasselblad (did I mention this before?),
    7. more second hand equipment (which is a moot point for me since I have so far bought everything new),
    8. it's more aesthetic and it came in a yellow colour (laugh at me people, I don't care!) - it just looks sexier than the other MF brands ,
    9. it's ergonomic - accessories like the PME 45 Finder, CW Winder and Flash Grip (of which I have all of them) are very well designed,
    10. future archeologist will dig this thing up long after the sun supernovas and still be able to use it - assuming they can get 120 film!
    11. it's a square format which one can always crop to 645 or get a 645 back - more versatile,
    12. at the time I was deciding it was on special - buy a kit, get a winder for free, buy new glass and get a discount which I used to buy the PME 45
    13. and finally it's a Hasselblad (what can I say, I'm vain that way - it's the Ferrari sports car of the photography equipment world to me).
    Plus I've always wanted one since I was a kid.

Q2. Any thoughts on what I should do? Humour is OK. And no, you can't borrow my wife for you next birthday
    Sell all your Mamyia equipment to get more Hassey glass and accessories. Seriously - no humour there. You won't ever regret this.

The relationship advice world could do with less Dr Phil and more of your wife, IMNSHO!

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I own a 503cw as well and will never sell it. I've had it for about 5 years and absolutely love it. Never had a problem.

I would keep the Hasselblad for the following reasons:
    -Hasselblads future is more secure than Mamiyas
    -the lenses are as good as they get
    -you can buy a 645 back
    -there are tons of hasselblad items for sale on the internet and ebay
    -hasselblads kick ass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First of all take your wife out to her favourite restaurant while you decide what to do.

I'm a Hasselblad user so dont flame me but unless the square format appeals to you, sell the 503cw as you're quite established with your Mamiya in MF

Trade for some panoramic camera or LF

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I own both, and both are for sale, although not because of the cameras per se' but due to replications in other brands. Long story short, you have to find out for yourself by using both and determining over time which you prefer to pickup; That is if you really must sell one. I love the square, but I have other mistresses. 4x5, 6x7, 35mm all play into my interest at any particular time. If I were to judge between the two based on my ability to expand the system within my budget, then more then likely the Mamiya would be the candidate I would keep. A ruled screen for my 501cm will cost me more then what I spent on my 55mm Mamiya lens. So determining points have their influences and can be of any particular quality/attribute.

The thing about camera systems is that if you work enough with various ones you come to realization of their individual strengths and weaknesses. Take the Hasselblad out for some runs and if you find yourself thinking more of the Mamiya marry her instead; If you must. But variety can be the spice of life; Or it's misfortune; to your bank account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    I can't afford to keep both systems.
    Since you received the Hasselblad as a gift, theoretically it cost you nothing; therefore, you can afford to keep both systems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had a 645 1000S and still have a C330 and an RZ67. Like them all but I LOVE my Hassy. I shoot square and the Hassy just feels good in my hand. The Mamiya's always feel like a brick.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin