Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,331   Online: 974

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    The first electronic calculator I encountered was an English machine, the ANITA.
    I actually had one of these! It didn't work though. It was given to my when I was about ten as I used to like taking things apart then (still do).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    ... I'll have to put my 135/3.5 "Typ D" to the test some day - yet another case of the Vade Mecum being completely wrong...
    Hey, Ole, the VM says "Xenar Type D f3.5 There seems to have been an uncemented 3-glass Xenar for Portrait work, of excellent quality and able to stand comparison with the 4-glass. This type was for small cameras only." Where were they wrong?

I ask in part because there's been a lot of VM-bashing here lately. I agree that its incomplete, inconsistent, sometimes incorrect, often infuriating, but still find it invaluable. I've yet to find a better alternative. Suggestions?

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, Ole, the VM says "Xenar Type D f3.5 There seems to have been an uncemented 3-glass Xenar for Portrait work, of excellent quality and able to stand comparison with the 4-glass. This type was for small cameras only." Where were they wrong?
    Dan, what do they mean under three-glass scheme - a Cooke's triplet, I think? A positive front lens, a negative middle and a positive back, right? If the lens lacks any cemented elements, why should it be called Xenar, then?

Zhenya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, "Xenar" is a trade name. Schneider can attach it to anything they want, including ashtrays.

There's also an S-Xenar, five elements in four groups, rather like a tessar but with the first singlet replaced by, IIRC, two meniscii. I have a similar mystery lens, a 75/2.8 sold as an enlarging lens and with no trade or maker's name anywhere on it.

Here's another example. Early G-Clarons are 6/2 double anastigmats. Slow narrow-angle Dagors, in all but name. Later G-Clarons are 6/4 plasmats.

Cheers,

Dan

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I ask in part because there's been a lot of VM-bashing here lately. I agree that its incomplete, inconsistent, sometimes incorrect, often infuriating, but still find it invaluable. I've yet to find a better alternative. Suggestions?

Cheers,

Dan

The VM is just as you said - "incomplete, inconsistent, sometimes incorrect, often infuriating, but still invaluable".

The "Typ D" is a four-element "tessary" lens, but the rear group has negative focal length. So it's somewhat similar to a Tessar, but with radically different groups - if that makes any sense at all?

Which reminds me - even on English lenses, the VM isn't always correct: My "Ross Cabinet No.2" is an f:4 Petzval with about 12" focal length (yes, a big heavy thing), not a RR...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh right, that's it - I forgot about those Western plutocrats and their habits In Russia, whatever lenss was made, it was given a name according to its optical scheme... sometimes it was something like RO or OKS, so no one knew what should it be

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Zhenya, "Xenar" is a trade name. Schneider can attach it to anything they want, including ashtrays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin