Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

5x7 film dimensions

Could somebody tell me what the exact dimensions (in milimetres) of 5x7 film are? I have 13x18 film holders and I am wondering if I can use 5x7 film in them. I use exclusively 13x18 Delta 100 which is readily available in Europe
    ( I live in Greece and buy my film in Germany ) but some times I really feel
    the need for a 400 film and the only option available seems to be 5x7 HP5.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Karin,

Kodak TMY400 = 125 X 176 mm

Hope it's a help

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by karin bingel
    I have 13x18 film holders and I am wondering if I can use 5x7 film in them..
    Regrettably not, at least in my experience. The easiest route is to some find 5x7 holders as well -- which of course share the same external dimensions (as do half plate). I have all three.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to point you to Thom Bell's website but it's to be gone. There is no exact size. There is a target with a small +/- amount. So some companies might be a little bigger some a little smaller.

http://web.archive.org/web/200406211...filmsheet.html

That's the archived page. No 5x7 on it but you can look at the other sizes to see how much of a range is allowed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My JandC Classic 400 5x7 measures exactly 4 29/32 x 6 15/16.

At 25.4 mm per inch, this works out to 124.6 mm x 176.2, so basically, I agree with phfitz.

My understanding is that the external dimensions of your holders are the same as 5x7 holders, but that the interior dimensions are such that you cannot use 5x7 film.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Classicpan 400 is available in 13x18 cm from www.fotoimpex.de if you need speedier film. In the worst case you can always try to use doublesided tape or other low-tack adhesive to secure the smaller 5x7" in the 13x18 holder. Finicky but works in a pinch.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The ASA standard for 13x18cm film is from 12.7 to 12.9 X from 17.7 to 17.9 cm. I don't have an ASA standard for sheet film, but the 5x7 film pack film ASA standard is from 182 to 186.5 X 126.5 to 128mm.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

It's an unfortunate case of overlapping standards - a "big" 5x7" film will fit and stay in place in a "small" 13x18 holder. A "small" 13x18 film may fit in a "big" 5x7" holder. But most of the time, a 5x7" film will drop out of a 13x18 holder at the wrong moment, and a 13x18 film won't lie flat in a 5x7" holder.

I use both sizes, and have two (actually four) sets of holders...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh - the things you learn too late. I thought I had picked up some bargain 5x7 holders at a camera fair to go with my newly arrived Shen Hao 5x7. Turns out I may have some overpriced landfill. What I bought appear to be "half plate" holders which are marked on one side as 12x16.5cm. This became apparent when the f@#$n' film wouldn't go into the f%$#n' film holders! Do you think the guy at the stall knew I was a sucker...

So, before parting with more money any recommendations on whether to go with 13x18cm or 5x7in (12.5x17.6cm film size) holders and films. My guess is as the US market is biggest and most influential I should stick to inches?

p.s. Any half-plate film available anywhere or any tips on clean, dust-free techniques for trimming film? Or should I just throw these into the garbage bin....

Thanks.... Tony

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Last time I checked (<18 months) several films were available in half plate but not in all markets. Some Ilford films; some Maco (try Mr. Cad); possibly some Bergger (can't remember); even, I believe, some Fuji including at one time Velvia.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin