Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 733

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Lens boards for that camera are difficult to make, I sugguest buying some used off Ebay. They go for very cheep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, that would be against our pride. We've made a Graphic View to Plaubel adapter already, plus numerous Plaubel boards. The Cambo challenge is waiting to be tackled, would be way to easy to buy them pre-made - unless they cost less than 5 euros each. PM me if you see any like that, please.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Norm - you mean you haven't got Iris mounts yet???

BTW - you haven't seen wide until you've used a 24x30cm camera with a 150mm lens. A WA Aplanat...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Norm - you mean you haven't got Iris mounts yet???
    Ole, must you bring that up? You know how painful that is. Everything I see one on eBay some guy called OleT comes and snatches'em right before my very eyes.

And I'll see wide as soon as you post an image taken with the combo mentioned.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    And I'll see wide as soon as you post an image taken with the combo mentioned.
    My scanner only goes to 8x10" film size, silly little dig*tal thing...

I'll see if I can get another one done now that most of the light leaks in the bellows are - if not exactly repaired, then at least known. As soon as the "rainy season" sets in, that bellows is going to camerabellows for replacement.

And I might do a shot with a 750mm too, just for fun (or will that finally rip the bellows?)...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The next step: which tripod head system for 8x10?

Okay, the 6kg QuickSet Samson/Hercules cross breed super sturdy tripod is here as of this morning. Impressive beast with very stable centre column, yet still portable. The Cambo is rock steady on top of it. We may even go and use this in a flying storm if it weren't for the bellows. But.... we'd like a good tripod head for tilting the camera up, down or sideways.

We looked at the Arca Monoball system (as a theoretical option, not a financially viable one), rummaged around in the cupboards and came up with a minitiare Schiansky version of the ball head principle. While trying it out to see how we would like a larger version, it struck me that even with a pro Head it wouldn't be the fastest levelling system. And I wondered what other 8x10 (or larger) camera owners use to quickly and secure get the camera completely level. (We're not fastidious about a lot of things, but we are about this one).

I don't think we're too charmed about geared heads (like the Majestics and the Cambo's - too heavy in the field), but what about an older style heavy duty (Gitzo) head with a big lever or a Manfrotto/Bogen one with three separate handles for each plane? (The Arca Cube is awfully good looking and would probably be just right, but it is clearly out of our price range).

We'd like something that can hold 8-15 kg, can be locked tight even without applying lot of strength and with which leveling and relevelling is a breeze. What is it that we should hunt for? We'd really appreciate hearing the pro's and con's of the varying available systems for use in the field.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    bought a new TV - uhm - I mean an 8x10 Cambo SC.
    Crazy dutchman?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan
    Crazy dutchman?
    Well, actually, we're of rather mixed descent: Polish, German, French, Indonesian, Friesian, Dutch. Hard to tell where the crazy part came from

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Update on the new TV: good service from Cambo

Our 8x10 project is jogging along quite happily. The point in time when we can actually start using the darn thing is coming within sight. Reexamination of the camera revealed that the gg steel springs had worn out and needed replacement. Called Cambo to ask if they had any, and they did, although they told me spare parts for this product line are going out of stock gradually. Ordered a set at a very right price. Then we thought replacing the rail itself for a shorter one would be a good idea if we were going to lug the thing around, like, who needs 100cm rails for architecture shots? So, again I called Cambo, downloaded a brochure and after going back and forth a while asked it they had a 54cm rail. 'No, but we have the material to make one if you want to'. Of course: 'yes please, do'. This was yesterday. As of 30 minutes ago the Cambo is sitting on it's new rail. That's what I call good and speedy service. At an affordable price too. I'm almost tempted to ask if they have a new bag bellows, as we just missed one on eBay last night....

As for tripods: the mint 2kg. Wolf metal 'stativ' will be arriving this week, so we can compare it with QuickSet's 6k 'monument to stability'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be sure to let us know how it all works out! I got my Symmar convertible yesterday and shot asome 6x9 FP4 in the garden to test the shutter. It's either very accurate or close enough not to matter. Thanks for the tip on that lens!
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin