Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

We just bought a new TV - uhm - I mean an 8x10 Cambo SC.

This was an offer we simply could not refuse: 8x10 Cambo plus compendium for a fistful of dollars. Just the nice entry level 8x10 we were looking for. We've moved one step closer to actually making 8x10 images. We'll need a better tripod (the current one just doesn't cut it), build a basic darkroom, make some DIY lens boards and learn to load the film holders in a scratch- and dustfree manner. But the image on the gg is a good motivator to make these things happen. Absolutely overwhelming compared to the 6x9 format we're used to! We've got lenses lined up for the new baby waiting for an adaptor lens board: the 210 Boyer Beryl seems to cover fine, just as the G-Claron 240, the Agfa Intergon 305 and even the 360 Goerz Hypar seems to cover completely.
    Bellows draw goes to at least 600mm, so there's a gap to fill between the 360 and 600 range, if we ever feel the need for such long lenses on this camera. Normally we don't use such wide angles, but the 210 Beryl was very pleasing. Perhaps that goes with the format, have heard other people say that they tend to go shorter on the focal length with the increase of the image size.
    Weight is not as bad as we'd expected, it is a bit of the bulky side. But at last we'll be able to photograph churches with the bell tower at a closer range.
    I can now understand why people want to have even larger cameras than this. It's an acquired addiction, ehm, taste.
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Norm,

Can you watch the World Cup Soccer matches on the thing???

Seriously, congratulations on moving up to the 8x10... wait till you see a color transparency from it! It's a HUGE step up from what you normally shoot!

In regards to loading the holders... take a look at Paul Butzi's site. He has an article in there detailing out how to load 4x5 but the technique is equally applicable to 8x10... just a bit of a larger hunk of film!

http://www.butzi.net/articles/articles.htm

Look for a 19" Red Dot Artar! That'll fill in nicely between the 360 and 600. It comes in at 480mm. Prices are starting to creep up on them so jump on one asap. BTW, John Abbott, on the Large Format Photography site has one for sale:

(http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=18439)

I just bought one and am having it mounted in a Copal 3. The lens that John is selling is mounted in an Acme Illex 4.

[PS: I have no connections with the seller.]

Good luck... and enjoy the addiction!

Cheers
    Last edited by Capocheny; 07-08-2006 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional info...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,
    thanks for the tips. The Artar is no longer there, must have been sold just now. But we're not in a hurry, we've been hunting for this 8x10 for a year already, a few more months won't matter. Plus we'll have to trade in some lesser used gear for a good tripod, I expect.
    We're thinking of starting with paper negatives or lith film to see if we can justify the expenses of 'real' film or slides. But maybe the 8x10 will take us where the 4x5 format never did, and we will end up like the rest of you
    Want to reach a wide audience? Place your ad here! Contact me for details and discuss your sponsorship today!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Hi,
    thanks for the tips. The Artar is no longer there, must have been sold just now. But we're not in a hurry, we've been hunting for this 8x10 for a year already, a few more months won't matter. Plus we'll have to trade in some lesser used gear for a good tripod, I expect.
    We're thinking of starting with paper negatives or lith film to see if we can justify the expenses of 'real' film or slides. But maybe the 8x10 will take us where the 4x5 format never did, and we will end up like the rest of you
    Too bad... it was a pretty good price for it. When mounted in barrel, it wasn't unusual to see them sell for between $375 - 450. Mounting them in a shutter usually runs about $250 plus the cost of a Copal 3 (approximately $300 - 400.00) So, that's why I say it was reasonably priced. The total cost for my lens will be approximately $850. But, in my mind, it'll be worth it!

One thing for sure... using paper negs is a LOT less costly than using film. I'm assuming you've costed out a box of FP4+? As for color... make sure you're sitting down before they tell you the price!

IIRC, the ASA setting for a paper neg is roughly about 6. So, keep that in mind.

Anyway, have fun!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats, Norm. Fortunately for you, the ULF folks may consider 8x10 to be "medium format".

FWIW, I found that my focal length preference shifted toward the wide on 8x10. So, you might want to tinker a bit to establish priorities for your additional lens acquisitions. Lots of choices in the empty spot you have, though. I use both a Nikkor 450M and a 16.5" Red Dot Arter, the latter mounted in an Ilex #4 that Carol Miller just CLA'ed.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    I can now understand why people want to have even larger cameras than this. It's an acquired addiction, ehm, taste.
    Haha! Good deal, Norm!

G

Congratulations, Norm! Now that you've become addicted to the aerial image on that big ground glass. just wait 'til you pull that 8x10 negative out of the tray!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to tell everyone how serious the addiction is: we have 'won' a Wolf tripod just now and are going to bid on another (other type, other brand), so we can compare notes and discard the superfluous ones. And all this despite our lack of funds...
    Have to stop thinking about pulling 'real' negs out of trays or I might even sell the Pecoflex...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. If you sell the Pecoflex, you'll probably regret having done so later.

On the other hand, a Pecoflex in good order may sell for more than my former 6"/1.9 Super Six did. I was glad to get the pittance the lens brought on eBay and don't miss it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan,
    I was speaking about the situation in which I simply could *not* stop thinking about 8x10 negs - lucky for me I have a remarkable self control if really needs be (although I haven't shown much of that lately). So the Pecoflex is staying where it is for the time being. Arsenall had one for sale last week, of course it didn't sell at the outrageous price of nearly 2.5K$, but it made me think. Just for a second.
    The second tripod, for all appearance a crossover between a QuickSet Samson and a Hercules, is on it's way. Now two 'esteemed' tripods on one day for under 100 EUR is still cheap enough in my book. The QuickSet will be more rugged and stable than the Wolf, but the Wolf has a leveling head and weighs a mere 2 kg. We'll see how goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin