Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,274   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ANY good large format photography stores in Sacramento/San Francisco?

Im going to be in Sacramento and San Francisco next week, any stores I shouldn't miss? So far the most LF gear I have seen in one place in Samys in LA. I would love to see some more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    WOW! are you kidding....Let's see...

We have Calumet in the city. There's Keeble and Shuchat in Palo Alto. Pardee's in Sacramento. Hmmm, Kamera Korner in San Jose is always a good adventure (just don't be put off by the german guy on the phone). There's also Gasser's in the city but, I've never been there so cannot recommend.

Does that help?

If Palo Alto is not too far out of the way for you, I highly recommend a trip down the penisula to Keeble & Shuchat. They have two stores. One kinda caters to the D* crowd but is still worth a visit for the LF photog....hmmm, actually, I think that all the LF gear is over there now. The store on the corner has a whole darkroom department up stairs with at least one friendly, knowlegeable and helpful sales person (just avoid Walter like the plague!!!). Ah...I'm raving. I'll just say, K&S is worht the trip.

PM me if you need details, directions or...???

Brad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking Glass in Berkeley! One of the managers is an apugger. Ask for Che (pronounced shay)

Gassers in the city, has actual free parking across the street from it. It has a downstairs that is nothing but film paper and chemicals. If you want to try out a new camera, they have a good rental department.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    any stores I shouldn't miss? So far the most LF gear I have seen in one place in Samys in LA. I would love to see some more.

I missed the "most LF gear I've seen" part the first time (pours himself another glass of wine)...definitely, you need to make the trek down to Palo Alto...it's like a camera museum! be sure to check out both buildings and don't forget that the one on the corner has two floors!

Gasser's sounds interesting too.

Brad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Looking Glass in Berkeley! One of the managers is an apugger. Ask for Che (pronounced shay)
    I second this one as well. Che is a great lady ....
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll third the recommendation of Keeble & Schuchat, although the last time I was in they didn't have a huge LF stock, just all those cool old cameras on display. They do have good service and knowledgeable staff. Gassers may or may not have good stock, but their prices are ridiculous, and their staff can have a real attitude. Calumet in SF has a good stock of supplies, but not much in the used department on any given day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't bother with Calumet. Not much LF at all,except for film. They are usually pretty well stocked with 4x5,both b&w and color, as well as some 8x10. As for equipment, they might have a couple of new Rodenstock lenses and odds and sods like Calumet roll backs, but they are pretty much all digital these days.

W.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    While at Looking Glass, don't neglect buying one of their "Films Not Dead" T-shirts.

On second thought why do't all us APUGers order one via the web and have a T-shirt day?

I always wear mine for the first day of class at the college.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I'll third the recommendation of Keeble & Schuchat, although the last time I was in they didn't have a huge LF stock, just all those cool old cameras on display. They do have good service and knowledgeable staff. Gassers may or may not have good stock, but their prices are ridiculous, and their staff can have a real attitude. Calumet in SF has a good stock of supplies, but not much in the used department on any given day.

Yeah, the show room walls are literally filled with old stuff that is not for sale. Much (about 1/2?) of the "old stuff" is large format but, there is also an interesting Leica collection upstairs in the other building. They actually do have a good supply of LF gear for sale too. It's just not generally on display. You kinda have to ask for what ever it is that you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Hmm, someone in Berkeley name Che?

Too many jokes come to mind. None of them good, but too many.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin