Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,595   Online: 951

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Needle in a haystack ? Petzval Lens Hunt

All,
    For the last couple of months I've been keeping my eye open for some old lenses to experiment with; perhaps even the famed petzval lenses. I haven't had much luck on sleezebay, etc. I did find one through the APUG classifieds, but it was around 140mm in focal length. Did they ever make a petzval designed lens in a 200-280 focal length ? Or were they all usually shorter ?

Thanks !

Shooter
    Large Format
    There were tens of thousands (maybe more) of quarter or half plate lenses made from the 1840s to the 1930s. These lenses run from 8"-11", and will do fine for 4x5. An 8" model will illuminate 4x5 with some fall off, I prefer an 11" lens, but these might not fit on your lensboard. Keep on looking, they aren't hard to find, however they are a bit pricey at this particular moment in time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    keep an eye out for unmarked brass lenses. You might be able to get a steal and it will likely be a petzval or rapid rectilinear, both of which should be fun to use. I picked up an approx. 12" Darlot Petzval this way --it wasn't marked on the barrel, but the glass was marked on the inside. The price was significantly less than what Darlot's usually go for.

cheers

Tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the help.
    As far as what to look for goes, say I find a lens...'x'. How would I be able to tell what construction it is ? Is there a resource for such things ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are going by a picture, unless the description states the type of lens, you'll have to go by either looking up the specific lens (in the vademecum, for example -available on e-bay), or by taking the lens apart or counting reflections in the glass. There are a lot of discussions here on the construction (numbers of elements and groupings) of the different lens types, and can be searched pretty easily.

cheers

Tim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin