Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,036   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Equipment for Shooting 5 x 4 transparencies for a first timer.

OK I have done some 6x6 transparencies and I love them. I would like to try 5x4 transparencies but don't want to spend a fortune - I've just celebrated 25 years of marriage and would like a few more - any suggestions on gear for this at a reasonable price ? I have seen Crown Graphics cheap on e-bay and have also seen the Bulldog DIY camera. I guess the expensive bit is going to be the lens with the latter , I assume a pinhole and chromes don't mix too well. Any ideas ?

Thanks ; Chris
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A Crown with a lens and shutter in good working order is a perfectly suitable setup for shooting chromes. If you don't need the rangefinder on the Crown (if it has a rangefinder), there are lots of inexpensive wooden field cameras, or older, heavier monorail cameras, if weight is not the issue.

What are you photographing?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    What are you photographing?
    I enjoyed photographing local landscapes with my previous chromes, I would not be too concerned about architecture work so the fall and rise is not essential-though I am sure I would want to play with this feature.
    I am also beginning to like studio work and the thought of chromes that size really appeals.
    In the end I just enjoy photography (even though I have lots to learn) and love the look of chromes !

Thanks for the response; Chris
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A Crown actually has pretty good rise, but front tilt, which is good for landscapes, is indirect. If by "studio work" you mean still life, then a monorail would be more useful, but it's not as portable as a field camera. If you're doing portraits, then a Crown or a wooden field camera would be plenty. Check out the camera reviews on the main page at lfphoto.info to get a sense of the options.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A camera with a bit more tilt is the Burke and James press camera. It is also cheaper.

A Burke and James or Calumet monorail can be had very cheaply (under US$100).

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend a Calumet C400 series or a Toyo/Omega 45 series, both are very inexpensive as far as large format, yes, a bit heavier, but will give you the movements you want for still life and still be usuable in the field for landscape, basically all you need is a light tight box that will hold a film holder and allow you to focus..

Myself would not do pinhole work on slide film, slides really shine when everything is done right, I think the pinhole concept would detract from what slide film is for.

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can hear the collective groan from the other members but here I go again. I am a big fan of Toyo. Look for a Toyo 45D or 45E. They are monorail cameras (great in the studio) but they take down into a backpack for field use very easy. They are good cameras with full movements, parts and accessories are easy to find and the prices are low.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think spending a fortune, and 5x4 trannies sit together quite nicely.
    I have a Crown Graphic and would suggest it is very suitable for this use. Here in England MPP produced a very similar press camera, equally suitable.
    Before you go too far checkout the processing costs if you haven’t already done so. I’m thinking of your marriage too.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    P.S. Also look for Omega View. Same as toyo just with the omega brand. Several on ebay for under $200.00 USD. And I second checking out prices on film, processing and quality printing. Shooting chromes ain't cheap but I love the thrill of viewing new chromes for the first time.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    P.S. Also look for Omega View. Same as toyo just with the omega brand. Several on ebay for under $200.00 USD. And I second checking out prices on film, processing and quality printing. Shooting chromes ain't cheap but I love the thrill of viewing new chromes for the first time.
    I have to agree 100%, the Omega/Toyo monorails are a great bargin and offer pretty much everything you will get with a much more expensive camera, the one I have has never let me down, still takes great images, one of the best buys I have ever made for a large format camera!

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin