Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,052   Online: 948

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fidelity film holder and film straightness

Hi all,

I am beginning to develop 4x5" film which was shot in Fidelity Elite holders. The problem I am having is that the film, once developed, is slightly off-centre, with the whole frame having a slight tilt.

After searching several threads on this issue, I came across this comment:

"Thanks - that's my gut feeling as to what happened - I believe there's probably about 1/32" play in how the film fits in the holder and it may have just shifted."

My question is what should one do to ensure the film is lying straight in the holder? Is it better to transport the film in the horizontal and on edge position? I have not paid any attention to this.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correct: there is some play in the holders but if it weren't, you could encounter difficulties with slightly off-cut sheets.

Transportation has a lot to do it, but carrying them if they were nitroglicerin will not ensure you that the negative sits OK in the holder.

rap the filmholder in your hand before inserting it in the camera. The negative will (hopefully) be seated on the bottom of the filmholder after that.

G

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What me worry?

Personally I like that the film doesn't sit perfectly everytime, but then I'm different.

I hadn't thought about the hip-hop solution of rapping the holder, but I like it. Dig that crazy beat.

Tape is a poor solution.

Or use Ready-loads or Quick-loads.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I always do what Argus suggested, it just takes a second. I tap the holder on my hand just before inserting, which seats the film and ensures that it won't slip during exposure. Just tap the down-side on your hand right before you insert it in the camera and you should be in good shape. Works for me!

- Randy

Images
    Good Morning,

I agree with the above. I would add only that it's normally unnecessary to "rap" the holder (except for perfectionists), but I regard it as essential when making night shots. Having film shift during a one or two minute exposure is definitely not good.

Konical

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin