Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,120   Online: 932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First successful LF shots (oh the joy of slow photography!)

So, here we are, about a month on from buying my LF outfit and I can say that I have had my first sucesses.

The results of my labours can be viewed at this location

All three shots posted were taken on HP5 plus, rated at EI250 and developed in Perceptol 1:2 for 12 minutes at 24 degrees C.
    I have a couple more negatives to print up. Once they're done, I'll stick 'em up for critique.

Now I've got a copy of Steve Simmons' and Jack Dykinga's books, the movements are making much more sense.

I'd appreciate your comments and feedback!

All the best,
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Excellent job. You're off to a good start !

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark,

Welcome to the club... it's a brand new journey!

Try some chromes next.

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats! Welcome to the Dark Slide! Be prepared to engage in a never-ending descent into a world of sheets, trays, exotic chemical developers, and spending more time taking fewer pictures than you ever imagined, while having more fun than you ever thought possible with a camera.

Isn't that Shen Hao such a fun little camera? It packs up so nicely and travels so well, and it can do just about anything you'll ever want a view camera to do. I'm almost 100% decided on taking it with me to Argentina - the farthest I've ever travelled with a view camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Congratulations. I am happy that you are enjoying the experience.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wait until you pull your first 4x5 transparency
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Wait until you pull your first 4x5 transparency
    Especially if it is something like Velvia 50 or Velvia 100.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I'm very happy with the Shen Hao. It seems to do all that I want and probably a lot more besides. I probably will try some transparency film, but not just yet... My main reason for getting the camera was for B&W and I've got shed loads to lear on that front.

At the risk of appearing to be a heretic (I've never done nor wish to do colour printing in the darkroom), I like the thought of being able to scan a transparency on my flat-bed and be able to make a 40 inch print if the mood takes me. That is assuming my PC has enough disk, memory etc to cope with such a monster file size! A3+ prints will be a doddle!

Flyingcamera, I know what you mean about time vs sheets expended. Last week I was out for three hours and managed to expose three sheets, of which two were of the same image. I love the way that using a view camera chills me out. It's just so much more relaxing as you have to think about what you're doing and really concentrate (at least I do). Time just seems to fly by and I forget all about troubles at work etc. These things should be on prescription!
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

The time will be well spent composing with the 4X5 camera. You should find that your composition will improve. Since everything is upside down and backwards, you will be looking at line, shape, and form, and placement of objects rather than what is really being photographed. Good luck with it.

Once I had used the 4X5 over some time, I found that I would use much of the same deliberate composition observation with smaller formats. I slowed down the process with my smaller format cameras and my compositon improved with these cameras as well.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About that three sheets in three hours: give yourself a few years. Eventually the camera will feel like it's setting itself up. You'll know what movements you want to use before you unfold the camera, and you'll be concentrating solely on the subject.
    But it takes time. I've been at this almost 30 years, and I still occasionally mess up.
    I can usually do a dozen or more 4X5's in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, and usually end liking at least 2 or 3 of them (but I'm my own hardest critic). Dean
    dphphoto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin