Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,678   Posts: 1,669,248   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Looking for critiques

I finally have things set up to go from tripping the shutter to making a print. Would love some feedback on things I should be thinking about or changing or doing better at any point in my process, etc.

I know some of us don't go to the gallery all that often so I'm asking here to take a look at the photos I've recently posted and offer up some of your thoughts and impressions. If after a few hours/days the photos move off the main gallery page please go to my personal gallery.

I'm really not looking for a pat on the back. I want to improve and I know I have a long way to go. Did I mention I'm especially interested in suggestions?

Thank you very much,

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan,

I made a comment on one of your photographs, but my suggestion is, quite simply, be aware of feet and hands. With kids, they can be very expressive, and cropping at knees, elbows, wrists or ankles just sort of looks, well, amputated. I think the expressions you've captured are lovely, and the image quality with that lens is dreamy. Not an easy thing, LF and kids! I think you are off to a great start.

Good luck with it, and looking forward to more!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, I looked at all the pictures and I htink you did very well. LF portraiture is not easy, specially with kids and you managed to obtain some very natural poses and expressions. Suzanne's suggestion is good and it seems to me the negs were a tiny bit underexposed, but these are technical matters easily remedied, you did good IMO for a first time....specially with a packard shutter...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I'm making the mistake of concentrating too much on the gear and getting the subject in focus. I didn't pick the easiest lens to shoot kids with!

For the next ones I'll try and relax about the technical things and think more about composition. I kind of feel a little overwhelmed at all the stuff going on in my head. I think the more I shoot the more comfortable I'll get and some of these obvious mistakes won't be as common.

Baby steps...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're off to a very good start. I'm not bothered by cropped fingers, etc, myself. I think the facial expressions are key.
    The best thing is to keep shooting. After a while, a few years maybe, it will feel like the camera is setting itself up. Movements will be second nature and you'll be concentrating on the subject (seems like I just said this same thing to Mark Pope on another forum). Keep doing what you're doing, just do it more. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I figure I have about 9,990 to go

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Alan,

You may or may not be interested to read the free 'Critiques' module in The Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com. It is a piece about critiques written from the point of view of someone who has given them at the Rencontres at Arles, on the Leica stand. The burden of my song is that critiques are a two-way transaction and you need to know what you are want and what you are likely to get.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good point Roger.
    Let me clarify my intentions a little bit more...

I am very new at making photographs and this initial request for critiques is to look at what I have and give some general as well as descriptive comments to sort of consolidate what is happening in the photos (process included). Kind of a "here's what I can do right now, please help me move on to the next part" sort of thing. Later, when I can work on a theme I will have an outline of what I'm trying to do and how I think I can make it happen. Right now I don't even know the questions to ask.

Being self taught I know that there are holes in my education. I want this critique to give me the material to help me figure a way to cover the areas I have missed. So far I have gotten some very good information and am excited to incorporate it and move forward.

I know that some improvement will come with just making more photos, but I also want to have the voices in my head as I go about making more. That way I can maximize my time.

I hope that makes sense.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Alan,

OK: what are you looking for? 'Fine art' print sales? Commissions? Weddings (just kidding)? Publication? If the last, what in?

The education ain't so important. Where you want to go -- that is important.

FWIW, the straight black and whites -- the portraits, the studio shot especially -- were what I liked most.

Cheers,

R
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 07-14-2006 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK: what are you looking for? 'Fine art' print sales? Commissions? Weddings (just kidding)? Publication? If the last, what in?

The education ain't so important. Where you want to go -- that is important.
    I have to disagree with this, there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn to do something well and enjoy it. Why does he have to focus on the money right away? Why does he have to have a direction?

I started doing this because I love it and even if I could not sell one print I would still be doing it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin