Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,768   Online: 797

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Are the 135mm Xenar's any good?

To be used on a 4x5. Want to do as much color as B&W. How are the movements etc?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As the reference in the previous posting shows, the 135 Xenar (I presume you mean the f4.7 version) does exactly what it was designed to do, cover 4x5" with no movements at infinity. The lens is specifically intended for press work, which is why the aperture is f4.7 instead of the normal Xenar aperture of f4.5 so that it fits into a smaller cheaper lighter #0 shutter. I have a Xenar of this type, it is excellent within its limitations, but if you want more covering power, you can probably find a first generation Symmar (the convertible model) for not too much more money. Symmar has an image circle of 190 mm (infinity f16) versus 161 mm, which is a useful gain.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    Are the 135mm Xenar's any good?

The one I had was amazing in terms of sharpness, color rendition and bokeh but as David has already pointed out, it only just barely covered 4x5 - which is fine when shooting with a press camera.

Interestingly, Schneider seems to have done something to limit the circle of illumination to closely coincide with the circle of acceptable definition. With the Xenar, when you loose the light in the corners, that's it. This is in stark contrast to the Ektar for example. The 127mm Ektar will illuminate a circle much larger than the circle of good definition.

Ditto. Sharp as a tack, covers 4x5 at infinity, sharp cutoff at edge of the image circle. If you're going to use it on a Crown Graphic or other press camera, get a rollfilm back and you'll get more room for movements.

Sold mine with my old Crown 20 years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eric, i had a beautiful (ABSOLULTELY BEAUTIFUL) 135mm f/3.5 that I ended up selling because it just didn't give me enough movements on the 4x5 and the shutter made it too large to mount on my graflex slr. I ended up buying a 165mm f/3.5 Tessar to mount on my graflex slr and love it. Now I just need to reload my bag mag and get the other one fixed!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    I must concur with Brad and Peter. Don't confuse it with the 127mm. It will cover 4x5 and allow some small movement. The Speed & Crown Graphic they were made for are not view or field cameras. It's unreasonable to expect to tie them into a bellows knot with a monorail view.

It's an fine lens for street or landscape. Go elsewhere for architecture.

Images
    It's not that it doesn't give ANY coverage. On Crown/Speed Graphics there is about 1/2" rise and shift on the front standard, and the 135/4.7 Xenar will cover it just fine, and maybe 5 degrees of tilt, which is all you'll ever really need for landscape work.
    But if you don't already have one, I'm with David that you'd probably be better off buying a 135 Symmar to start with.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    thanks everyone. I will look for Symmar's as well.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one also and it is extremely sharp. I even use it handheld on a Crown wide open and still get very nice results.

I've never tried movements, but it never disappointed with the straight-on shots I have taken.

They're so cheap. If it has a good shutter, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin