Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,638   Online: 1144

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cambo wide, any other users

I'm about to purchase an old style (not double shift) Cambo Wide with 65mm lens and Horseman 6 x 12 back. Can anyone give me any comments on using one. I'm also considering buying a 5 x 4 readyload or quickload to give me a bit more scope on formats and film types.

Tony

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, Tony. I inherited a 65mm Cambo Wide from a friend who died, and I used it for the first time this weekend. I had made some shots in the back yard with old Polaroid print film, to test the coverage. I got some vignetting after about 1cm shift--of course, there's a white border around the Polaroid print, so it didn't show everything. Then this weekend I shot some regular sheet film in Grafmatic holders, and I found the vignetting to be severe when using the shift. I can see the whole arc across the top of the frame, not just at the edges, and I used f32. I'd say be careful at full shift with the 6x12--don't count on covering the corners, and make some test shots. The published specification on the lens is a 170mm circle at f22, and I would guess the diagonal of your film area will be about 130mm, so you should have some room. On 4x5, you need about 160mm, so this is really a straight-on camera with full sheet film. With 6x9 there would be no problem at all, and I think that's really the format that the camera's movements are designed for. I noticed on my screen that there are makings for 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9, but not 6x12. There could be a zillion reasons for that. The image on the groundglass, if you have the Fresnel screen, is nice and bright, and the camera is generally easy to use horizontally--I found it somewhat awkward flopped over for verticals (on a tripod in both cases). Good luck with yours!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess not many people using the Cambo wide then!
    I've found it very useful and quick to use, I'm using it with the 6x12 back at the moment and can use as a point and press camera at f22 everything is in focus from 1.5m to infinity and framing is via the viewer. I'ts also very light, I purchased a new Lowpro bag with a single shoulder strap so I can just swing the bag around and take it out. Together with a few rolls of 120 and a spot meter it make a nice outfit.
    I'm proposing to do some test shots on 5x4 before using the shift in anger on some cityscapes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin