Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,893   Online: 932

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Help me identify this lens!!

I am by no means qualified to identify this lens, so I ask the help of those more knowledgable than I. It is a 14" Burke and James enlarging lens F 5.6- F-22. The serial number is UU285965. It is in good condition, the iris moves smoothly and it looks to be a 6 element air spaced lens. The elements are very clean except for some fog on the front glass. Anyone know what the coverage might be or anything about a lens of this type. Thanks for your help.

Stay Focused...or Soft Focused!

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For an 8x10 enlarger. stop down to f11 for best quality
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have a WWII-vintage UK-made aerial camera lens. "UU" was the code for Dallmeyer, that's who made it.

I've seen two flavors of such 14"/5.6 lenses, neither with six elements. Tessar types and Cooke Aviars.

Go count reflections again. If the lens is a tessar type you'll see four strong reflections and no weak ones in front of the diaphragm, two strong and one weak behind the diaphragm. The weak reflection may be very hard to see. If it is an Aviar, you'll see four strong reflections, no weak ones, on each side of the diaphragm.

I have a TTH-made 14"/5.6 Aviar, ex-Air Ministry. Amazingly sharp wide open, also very flary.

All of these monstrosities will cover 8x10.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    You have a WWII-vintage UK-made aerial camera lens. "UU" was the code for Dallmeyer, that's who made it.

I've seen two flavors of such 14"/5.6 lenses, neither with six elements. Tessar types and Cooke Aviars.

Go count reflections again. If the lens is a tessar type you'll see four strong reflections and no weak ones in front of the diaphragm, two strong and one weak behind the diaphragm. The weak reflection may be very hard to see. If it is an Aviar, you'll see four strong reflections, no weak ones, on each side of the diaphragm.

I have a TTH-made 14"/5.6 Aviar, ex-Air Ministry. Amazingly sharp wide open, also very flary.

All of these monstrosities will cover 8x10.
    Dan, thank you for the info. As I indicated in the post I'm not well versed on lens design but I like to learn. Any info I can get is very helpful, so I will do what you suggest. I took the lens apart to clean the elements and Thought I counted six. With my limited knowledge I'm glad I asked for help. Thanks.

Stay Focused......or Soft focused

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin