Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,571   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    P95 from Tap Plastics is matte finish on one side and is available as thin as 1/8". It makes a respectable ground glass which can be used as a back-up.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce uses a "stick on" film to make the plexi GGs. I have one on my 11x14 - it takes a pound off it and works just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the price of what Dave charges for his SatinSnow gg why go through all the bother of making your own... unless it is for an emegency use.
    Dave produces a very fine product.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    In what ways is it better?
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that the plexi won't break. That is why i keep it on my Wehman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just go to your local variety store (Woolworths, Kmart, etc), check out the stationery section for A4 plastic storage boxes, some are thick clear plastic frosted on one side

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually Plexi will break, we were able to break it with pretty easy stress in testing we did on it, and also found that it will flex in various conditions of heat and cold, in the temps we get here in Montana during the winter, it can become quite brittle..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Amund
    The glass GG that comes with the camera is just a regular run-of-the-mill GG, the Satinsnow GG I put in is much better. I usually have the plexi GG with me as a backup.
    I agree, Amund. I immediately installed a Satin Snow GG on my Wehman - the Satin Snow GG is much superior to both the Plexi and the Wehman GG. I normally don't even carry the Plexi GG in the Kelty backpack that I use as a camera case.

I also have Satin Snow GGs on my 5x7 Deardorff, my 4x5 Shen Hao and my 2.25 X 3.25 Crown Graphic.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Richard Ritter loves Satinsnow glass, and is using it on his new ULF cameras, including some 16x20 backs he's been making.

He uses a piece of plexiglas as a GG protector on the camera, held in place with Velcro dots - removable easily and less likely lost than the clamshell protectors. That piece, oversize, serves as an emergency GG when scuffed with the 400 grit sandpaper he carries in his tool kit. Yup, an inexpensive picture frame from Wally World works, too, in a pinch

Bruce Barlow
    Last edited by Sean; 08-10-2006 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin