Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,423   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

What to use for plexiglass viewing screen ?

Does anyone have experience making a plexiglass viewing screen to replace a regular ground glass ? What materials (sandpaper grit, grinding compound, etc.,) should be used?

I just returned from the field with an 8x10 broken ground glass and would like to try something a bit more hardy. I'll be using an f/4 lens so I think brightness will be OK if I make it a fine enough texture. Erno?

Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can find a screen printing company near to you who print labels and nameplates, you can probably convince them to give you an offcut of fine textured polyester or polycarbonate sheet.
    This has a gloss finish on one side and a matt texture on the other.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One idea that came up a few months ago, was to use brake cleaning fluid on the plexi then wash it right off, I have been told this will frost the plexi, one of the previous memebers here was telling us about that way of making a screen out of plexi, just make sure you use a thick enough piece of plexi or you will get flex in the screen which could create focus problems.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce Wehman provides a plexiglass GG with his cameras. You might contact him and ask him how he does it or if he'd sell one to you. I use it on my Wehman with a 210 6.8 Angulon and it seems bright enough to me. It is much better than the glass version that he also provides.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    Bruce Wehman provides a plexiglass GG with his cameras. You might contact him and ask him how he does it or if he'd sell one to you. I use it on my Wehman with a 210 6.8 Angulon and it seems bright enough to me. It is much better than the glass version that he also provides.
    In what ways is it better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done some experiments with plexi and have not been able to produce a better screen on plexi, than I can with the glass we use, but have been able to make screens out of plexi...not something I would sell, but usuable in a pinch.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a presentation on field techniques (and what to do in case of a disaster) at the 2005 Large Format Conference, Richard Ritter suggested that if you break your ground glass and need an emergency replacement, purchase a cheap picture frame at Walmart (they're everywhere), remove the plastic "glazing", and scratch it using either an emery board or sandpaper.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I have also used, I carry a roll of scotch tape the kind that looks frosted, and have coated clear glass with it to make a quick emergancy glass if needed, basically anything you can find to break the gloss on glass or plexi will make a screen that can be used, but it will be very coarse and pretty dim, but will be ususable in an emergancy.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    The glass screen that came with my Wehman is pretty grainy and uneven when compared to the plexiglass. The plexi is smoother, brighter, more even, and lighter than the glass that came with the Wehman. I need to order a Satin Snow to replace the glass version that came with the camera, I just haven't done that yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh

The glass GG that comes with the camera is just a regular run-of-the-mill GG, the Satinsnow GG I put in is much better. I usually have the plexi GG with me as a backup.
    Amund

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin