Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 778

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New level of 4x5 hardcoreness.

So, how far have you gone for a photo? I think I set my own record tongiht.

Found myself on the beachy part of the Lake superior shore tongiht with the Speed Graphic in tote. Was a bit windy and the waves were growing pretty high and whitecapping. Some kids a ways down the beach where sitting about five feet from shore getting pummped by what was left of the waves as they came in. One of my friends sees this,a nd things it looks liek a whole lot of fun, so he puts his swim trunks on and goes out tow here the waves are really big and breaking, and gets pummeled by them. This is at about 10:00PM, and I'm thinking how great some photos could look from right up there in the middle of the action.

I was without swimwear, so at first I thought "Oh well, a great idea I won't be able to shoot." Then I decided to go hardcore and get the damned photos, so before I know it, I'm standing in my boxers about 150 feet off shore (And still only waitst deep surprisingly) in the middle on the night with a Speed Graphic resting on top of my head. Flash is attached to a Quantum battery pack which is in a vinyl Swiss Army Gasmask bag which is now strapped to my neck and being held on my shoulder. All focusing/aiming is being done by the small light of my Kalart Focuspot.

At this point, the normal shoot/cycle sequence has a few extra steps in it. Shoot, Jump to avoid whitecap, Cycle Grafmatic, Jump to avoid whitecap, Cock shutter, jump to avoid whitecap, cycle darkslide, Keep jumping to avoid whitecaps until a real big one decides to slam us again, Shoot, repeat.

I really hope these photos don't end up sucking. That was a lot of effort to get them.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    well KP,
    that sounds awesome. I have not been in water in a really long time.

Please post some of the results when you can.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been out wading with the Technika, but not with a flash pack around my neck!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I never would have tried that with a battery pack. You need some flashbulbs. Most hazardous thing I have ever done to a camera was wade knee deep into the Atlantic with Nikkormat and zoom to shoot my girlfriend playing in the surf. I've done much worse with a Nikonos, including getting flipped head over heels, but that doesn't count.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water, what is that? Worst thing I've done recently was shoot the 8x10 at noon in Tucson inside the snake bridge. Not a bit of water anywhere, except under the darkcloth when it runs down my face! Plenty of light, but glad it wasn't like two days ago (110f). tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to mention the temp of Lake Superior! Has feeling returned to your legs yet?

Should be some great shots. 4x5 at Lake Superior is my idea of heaven.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I'm impressed. Any time I go into Lake Superior, my feet go numb and I get two little bumps under my chin....

I have lived by Lake Superior most of my life. It truly is a wondrous place. The highway between Duluth and Thunder Bay has some of the best photo ops anywhere.

I'm planning a road trip to Duluth in a few weeks to burn some film in my pre-anny speed. I can't remember the name of the river, but I think it is close to Beaver Bay; a short walk brings you to a pretty spectacular waterfall with high and low vantage points. I used to do a "circle route" motorcycle trip every year. The Keweenah (sp?) Peninsula from Houghton-Hancock to Copper Harbour is pretty spectacular too.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format

[b]Boxers, huh[/b]

TMI

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    Boxers, huh

TMI
    That was worth about 25% of the hardcoreness.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    All ya need is a couple babes and you could be working on being Peter Gowland's successor.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin