Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 657

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fix or replace #1 Studio Shutter

I've decided to try a soft focus lens and eBay offered up a 9" Verito at a reasonable price. The glass itself is quite good, but the shutter appears to be stuck open. That's not a total disaster because I was planning to use it on a 4x5 Graflex SLR, but I was wondering whether it is possible to get it fixed, or whether there are any other shutters that I could fit the cells into.

I've had a look at the information on the cameraeccentric site and figured out how it is supposed to operate but although I can change the aperture it won't close. I've played with the open/close switch and it feels like it is still connected to something but otherwise does nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carol Miller at Flutot's Camera Repair specializes in LF shutters. She might be able to tell you what the problem is, what your options are, etc. She's very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful.

It might just need a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What often happens is that the internal mechanism gets gummed up - a combination of old lubricant, dirt and the passage of almost a hundred years. The shutters are fairly simple and unless there is physical damage they should respond to CLA. (Well, mostly CL as there isn't much A with Studio's.) As one poster has pointed out, the return spring tends to weaken over time. That combined with the friction created by old lube and dirt causes them to stick open. I've cleaned and lubed two of my own and found that even the most recalcitrant shutter could be persuaded to operate fairly normally with little work. Let Carol have a go at it. It would be preferable - and much cheaper - than trying to remount the lens in a modern shutter.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The trigger mechanism can also get bent and hang up. Either way, it's usually a simple mechanical issue that can be easily fixed, as long as the parts aren't just too worn out or broken.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    It'll be far less costly than a brand new Copal shutter... so, IMHO, it's well worth sending out to a qualified technician!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As suggested above, send your studio shutter to Carol Miller at Flutot's Camera. She is the best.
    Many moons ago, I sent one of my studio shutters to Carol and although she had never worked on one, like the caring professional she is, she got it working smooth as a swiss time piece.
    I send all of my shutters to Carol and know she will get the job done.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I live in Australia, so postage costs would be an issue in sending a shutter to Carol for a CLA. I might make more sense to sort through all of my shutters and make a job lot of it as I'm sure ther are others that could use a CLA.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin