Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,959   Online: 1022

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Jim, Thanks again for sharing. Your postings are always interesting as are your images.

I have used this film to make copy or enlarged negatives for several years, but had not given thought to using it in camera.

I do not use Rodinal, but other film developers which work well. I think the many articles proclaiming dilute paper developers as desirable have done a great disservice to films such as this one.

By the way, many years ago I used ortho full scale films, Tri-X Ortho being one, for photographing subjects requiring a lot of shadow detail.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Jim,

I just tried it. I exposed 2 sheets with my 10 3/4" Dagor, I haven't worked with my soft focus lenses enough, then tray developed them in pyrocat HD. Agitation once each 30 seconds.

#1 - 4 minutes, P cat 1:1:100, 76 deg. looks pretty good, although the shadows are a lttle underexposed. Highlights, which are a light purple flower, look great. Hopefully I will get time to print this one tomorrow, if not, next week.

#2 - more dilute, 1:1:200, 76 deg, 15 min. in an attempt to get an even softer scale. This does not have enough oomph to develop the film. The highlights are just beginning to come up.

Tomorrow I will try a very dilute solution of HC 110.

Thanks for the idea.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Jim.
    As always, very instructive as well as aesthetically satisfying.
    I've used unmodified Rodinal 1:50 to develop Ilford Ortho at EI 20.
    Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere in an old issue of Camera and Darkroom I recall an article or column in the tech section about ortho film and using HC110 for the developer. When I get some time I will have to start thumbing thru the issues and see if I can find it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I may give the HC110 a go also just for kicks and giggles. I'd start with dilution B / 2 plus the 2 restrainers are key to holding back highlights while shadows get a fighting chance.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, I like #1 the best. I like the light leaking through the rivet or bullet holes through the building on the other side. Is that your truck? What I like best of all, though, is the fact that you can't tell if the year is 1966 or 2006...I suppose a vehicle expert though could point out some items on the truck that might narrow the photo down to recent...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWB
    Jim, I like #1 the best. I like the light leaking through the rivet or bullet holes through the building on the other side. Is that your truck? What I like best of all, though, is the fact that you can't tell if the year is 1966 or 2006...I suppose a vehicle expert though could point out some items on the truck that might narrow the photo down to recent...
    Thanks Tom. Yep, it's mine. It was mine when my girls were wee and in a moment of weakness I sold it to some Harley folks in Goldfield. After an 18 year hiatus I was able to buy it back a year ago and I'm just like a proud papa fixing things and getting it ready for some road trips. The only possible link to this century I see is the modern Nevada 'sunset' license plate. I'll have to look for a matched pair of 1952 Nye Cty Nevada plates to fix that. Come to think of it I may have a 1960 plate that would be perfect. This time I'll keep it and when the grandson's are about 11 or so I'll teach them how to double clutch.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your work is always inspiring, Jim. Always.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    This time I'll keep it and when the grandson's are about 11 or so I'll teach them how to double clutch.
    Ok, so I know this is off topic, but what is double clutching?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Ok, so I know this is off topic, but what is double clutching?
    If you have a transmission without syncronizers in it, you need to puxh the clutch in to take it out of gear, release the clutch to allow the rotating shafts within the transmission to sycronize speeds, then push the clutch back in to allow you to shift one gear to another. The advent of the syncro allowed people to only remove power from the transmision itself and shift gears. The invention of the torque converter allowed most people to not be bothered with shifting at all.

tim (3 speed on the floor) in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin