Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,320   Online: 792

Thread: sticky shutter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

sticky shutter

I have just got a Kodak Autographic which I intend to clean and use with 120 roll film, the conversion etc I am happy with but the shutter is a little sticky so I would like to try sorting it myself as I am not sure I can justify the cost of sending it away! I read on this forum somewhere, someone soaking a lens in something to free it up a little, any ideas? I am in the UK so some trade names may not mean anything to me so ingredients if poss.
    thanks
    Gari

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a Kodak Ball-bearing shutter, isn't it? I've got one of those cameras myself, but the shutter works great so it doesn't need any help.

The "common shutter-soak" is lighter fuel - Ronsonol or similar. Buy at the nearest tobacconist...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure others will post too, but soak it in ronsonol (lighter fluid) and do not lube.

After you squirt a little lighter fluid in to the shutter assembly, keep working the shutter while the fluid dries. Repeat as necessary.

You should remove the lens elements before you squirt.

When the fluid is dried, and the shutter works, stop there. The trace amounts of lube still on the shutter mechanism is all you need to assure proper functioning.

Rick.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, timely response. I recognise the 'ronsonol" name from the thread, I shall give that a go.
    Gari

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin