Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,506   Online: 701

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz
    Would suggest calling Jim at Midwest photo and see what he has in stock. He will give you solid advice and his pricing is very competitive. You should be able to get a camera and possibly a lens (used) for your proposed budget.
    I'll second this about calling Jim. Great fellow to do business with. As for the camera, I use a Toyo 45AII, and love it. I'm planning on getting another.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the shen-hao as well. Great camera for the money compared to quite a few i've seen with similar designs. It's got a graflock back that will accept any film holder or roll film back made for a 4x5 camera. A camera with a spring back won't. You can use a 300mm lens without a problem as well as very wide lenses by attaching the bag bellows. Many lenses fit inside the shen-hao when folded up. The camera folds up with bag bellows attached. It's cheap.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Shen-Hao! I bought mine just over a month ago and I'me delighted with it. A friend of mine uses an Ebony - he sort of looked down his nose at me when I said I was going for the Shen-Hao, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it's put together.

Wildbill, I'm interested to know what 300mm you use. The on my Shen Hao, the max bellows extension is *allegedly* 360mm, but that's with the camera in a very weird configuration. With the standards parallel, it's 300mm/12 inches, so presumably, you can focus at infinity. Unless you're using a top hat of course...
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

300mm

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pope
    Another vote for the Shen-Hao! I bought mine just over a month ago and I'me delighted with it. A friend of mine uses an Ebony - he sort of looked down his nose at me when I said I was going for the Shen-Hao, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it's put together.

Wildbill, I'm interested to know what 300mm you use. The on my Shen Hao, the max bellows extension is *allegedly* 360mm, but that's with the camera in a very weird configuration. With the standards parallel, it's 300mm/12 inches, so presumably, you can focus at infinity. Unless you're using a top hat of course...
    I use the 300mm Nikkor M. There are a few pics in my gallery with it. I'm not a fan of the configuration you speak of but in a pinch it works. I've done a bit of macro work with it as well.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    I use the 300mm Nikkor M. There are a few pics in my gallery with it. I'm not a fan of the configuration you speak of but in a pinch it works. I've done a bit of macro work with it as well.
    So how close can you focus without disengaging the front lens panel and stuff? I wouldn't want to use that mode of operation with anything other than a very lightweight lens, as you're relying on the front rise screws to stop the lens from tilting forwards/backwards.
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Shen-Hao is not a bad camera. I had one for a while, before selling it when I bought my Toyo 45AII. Its a very good entry level camera, I just wanted something a little bit more sturdy, and the Toyo fit my needs.

Ebony. I was lucky enough to have lunch with the owners of Ebony a few weeks ago, along with several others from APUG. They brought along a couple of camera for us to try. While the Shen-Hao is good camera, the Ebony is in a class by itself.

Right now after using an Ebony, I am trying to save my pennies for an Ebony 8x10. I wont get rid of my Toyo though, it will remain my main camera. But an Ebony is next on the list.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wista works for me!

20+ years. 4 season hard use outdoors. Nice and light. Doesn't have front or rear shift, but I don't mind moving the tripod a few times. The only thing ever to go wrong? A few screws got a little loose, so I tightened them up. Cosmetically, mine has a 'brass' coating on the metal bits that's wearing off but I don't mind...now it looks like a real north coast BC mountain climbing, rainforest in the bucketing rain, snowshoeing, sea kayaking, haggard old veteran

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Go for wista

Wista is the way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Wista works for me!

20+ years. 4 season hard use outdoors. Nice and light. Doesn't have front or rear shift, but I don't mind moving the tripod a few times. The only thing ever to go wrong? A few screws got a little loose, so I tightened them up. Cosmetically, mine has a 'brass' coating on the metal bits that's wearing off but I don't mind...now it looks like a real north coast BC mountain climbing, rainforest in the bucketing rain, snowshoeing, sea kayaking, haggard old veteran

Murray
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yet ANOTHER vote for a Shen-Hao. I've had mine for about five years now, and loved every day of it. I've taken mine all across the country, from the beach to near 10,000 feet in the California Sierra, to portrait work in my studio. Could it use a longer bellows? yes. I don't have anything for it, though, that is long enough for me to be bothered about it.

Mark Pope - I've got a Fuji 300 T f8 lens that I use with the Shen- it takes about 8" of bellows at infinity, so I can focus it pretty close. Not 1:1 macro close, but maybe 5' or so? close enough to do frame-filling head-and-shoulders portraits, with room to spare. The Fuji 300 Tele is a really nice lens - large, but not too heavy, and it takes a 67mm filter, which is common to about 3/4 of my 4x5 lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm very happy user of a Horseman HF the pre version of the Horseman FA wich is in the same category like a Linhof Tech but is much lesser in wight and has only double extention.
    Much more precise then any woody, so sorry woody fans!
    Take care, Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin