Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,469   Online: 863

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using a 65mm f:8 Ilex Acugon (great little lens, no movements), a 90mm f:6.8 Angulon (ditto), a 90mm f:8 Super-Angulon (bigger, heavier, darker, but covers 5x7"), a 121mm f:6.8 Leitmeyr Weitwinkel-Anastigmat (not much bigger than the 90mm Angulon, lots of coverage for 4x5") and a 121mm f:8 Super-Angulon (like the 90mm SA, only more so).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Peter De Smidt]
    I haven't used a Wista, but I did play with one in the store. I hope that I was looking at a bad sample. I broke the shift knob just by applying gentle pressure. That's not very encouraging./QUOTE]

You must have gotten a bad example. I've had my Wista DX close to 12 years now, and haven't had but one problem. I had to tighten the two little screws behind the front standard that hold the slider for the lens board. It's getting a little beat up looking, but I don't think I'm ready to retire it for a Shen-Hao just yet. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look at the focal lengths you use. Do you lean wide or long - landscapes? Some cameras are a real pig in terms of weight and the use of wide lenses...some are slow to set up etc. I have heard the Wista Tecnicals are not great for lenses wider than 120mm. Personally for field use I would defintely go for a lighter wooden design, but that depends on how far from the car you intend to go.

Just remember that if the optics are clear, many older lenses are superb performers..just be sure the shutter is in smooth and accurate. 135 convertible symmars are cheap and sharp when used unconverted. 150 Xenar has limited coverage but I never ran out and it was a sharp as hell as well as being in a new shutter. 210 Geronar is sharp when stopped down for landscape use as is the 300 f9 geronar (My 300 is tack sharp and has oodles of contrast). These lenses often go cheap as they are not 'supposed' to be that good. Truth is that opened up they are not, but if shot stopped doen they are every bit as good as your Sironar Ns and Symmars...and half the weight and less than half the cost. I have seen many 180 and 210 Nikkor lenses going for little, dont know why. I cannot imagine that they are anything other than, well, very good (I have never used one but have a 90f8). Roman Loranc has no complaints about his Nikkor 210 f5.6...

Do get the best camera you can as lenses can be gathered later and if there is any way you could stretch to a used Ebony RW45 (Maybe in the $1000 region) then great. The ebonies are light years ahead in quality, smoothness etc than other wooden cameras I have used ot twiddled with...but they are very expensive. A Wista 5x4 field sounds a good bet for overall value.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin