Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,297   Online: 831

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Field 4X5 recommendations

Hi, I'm fairly new to the APUG and wanted to get some feedback on what is considered a decent 4x5 field camera. Most of my work to date has been with a Hasselblad and all is nature/landscape and flowers. I'd like to find something less than $1000. Most of my work with MF is with Velvia and Pan-X. Thanx for your time.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    I love my Toyo 45AII but I am teaching my wife to shoot 4X5 and I realy like her Wista. I see them on ebay as low as $650.00 in good shape.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

4x5

I'll second the wista. I've owned one for over 20 years (zone VI version) and all it ever needed was a new bellows. Great lightweght camera. Only 12 inches of bellows; but hey...very well made. Will last a lifetime. I can carry it and 3 lenses with holders in a zone vi bag and it weighs nothing. Great for traveling on planes too.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ivy
    Hi, I'm fairly new to the APUG and wanted to get some feedback on what is considered a decent 4x5 field camera. Most of my work to date has been with a Hasselblad and all is nature/landscape and flowers. I'd like to find something less than $1000. Most of my work with MF is with Velvia and Pan-X. Thanx for your time.
    Bob
    A new Shen-Hao, used Wista or new or used Tachihara are well within budget. A used Zone VI camera is usually also well under $1000. I also got my Toyo AII (a metal field camera which I like for it's smoothness) for under $1000. Linhof Technika 4 is also often under $1000 or close.

Would suggest calling Jim at Midwest photo and see what he has in stock. He will give you solid advice and his pricing is very competitive. You should be able to get a camera and possibly a lens (used) for your proposed budget.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ivy
    Bob
    My vote goes to a good used Wisner Technical Field. They are beautiful and well made with all the movements of a serious studio view camera. The prices on Wisner cameras, even new, are surprisingly low. Buy two or three and be set for life!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    I second the Wisner Technical Field 4x5 - great camera.

A lot has been discussed about the company & regardless it's a great camera.

I'm assuming that when you say 1000. that this is for the body only as the lenses can get expensive unless you're patient.

Good Luck & have fun

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, I do need a lens with the setup. Willling to go over 1000 for good lens/body setup.
    Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at the Shen-Hao's at Badger Graphic Sales. In my experience, they're sturdier than the other cameras mentioned, and Badger's service is great. (They're a small, family run business.) If you buy one of these, you could afford a couple of lenses.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt
    Take a look at the Shen-Hao's at Badger Graphic Sales. In my experience, they're sturdier than the other cameras mentioned, and Badger's service is great. (They're a small, family run business.) If you buy one of these, you could afford a couple of lenses.
    I'll second Peter's recommendation... the Shen-Hao is a very nice camera for the dollar.

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i also use a shen hao,
    nice camera for less bucks.
    So you will keep some money to buy the important things called lenses ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin