Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,282   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format

Old but new to me B & J 8 x 10

Just got the camera and trying to decide if I should return it or maybe there is an easy fix. I'm probably not going to use the right names for these parts but hopefully you will get the idea. The gears of the front focusing knobs fall into the space between the two rails and won't move with out a little push. Once the gears are back in the track it works fine. Short of buying new tracks and gears( if thats even possible ) has anyone fixed this problem.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's more of a common nuisance than a problem. I live with it on my 5x7 B&J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have several B&J cameras, they have performed very well over the years.
    I have not found anything on the Big B&J that could not be fixed. It could be as simple as a missing C clip that allows the geared shaft to shift back and forth. Look at it closely and see if you can find why it is doing what it is doing. If the wood and Bellow is ok I personally would try to fix it. If you paid a bunch for it, and feel it is just a "beater" (more than $300.00) you just might be ahead to ship it back and hope for a better one to come along..

I have two 8X10's that I woulden't sell for a thousand dollars. I actually like them that well.

Charlie.......................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Jim on this one. I suspect you are talking about the 8x10 field camera with the bed that folds out. I live with it on my 5x7 also. Annoying? yeah, but not as annoyed as spending the thousand plus dollars on a Deardorff.

tim (B&J) in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i always have problems between gear tracks. as long as the camera stays put when i want it to, i can fiddle a little. nothing will be perfect, especially with older cameras.

picture i took this weekend, me and my b&j 8x10---

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply's. I was hoping someone woundn't say it was a fatal flaw and send it back. Didn't cost much so I think I'll keep it.

JSS is that your Land Yacht ? There is a photographer from New Mexico by the name of David Michael Kenneday(sp?) who has been tooling around the country for the past couple of years in a Land Yacht. His web site has photos and a blog about his travels.

Thanks again
    Kevin

Shooter
    Large Format
    An item that may prove useful for your B&J is a reducing back (from 8X10 to 4X5, for example). They frequently appear on eBay; but do come in slighly different sizes (wish B&J had standardized that item). I just got one for my B&J Grover, but its about 1/2" wider so will have to be cut down.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If it gets too aggravating you might check with Richard Ritter. I'm sure he could fix it, the only question is cost vs benefit. He fixed a similar problem on my Deardorff but did other things as well so I can't estimate the cost of doing that alone. Personally I can't stand for little niggly things to be wrong with my equipment, I'd rather have them fixed than have the aggravation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    An item that may prove useful for your B&J is a reducing back (from 8X10 to 4X5, for example). They frequently appear on eBay; but do come in slighly different sizes (wish B&J had standardized that item). I just got one for my B&J Grover, but its about 1/2" wider so will have to be cut down.

Interesting. The 5x7 Grover and 5x7 Watson Field cameras use the same exact sized reducing backs. The Watson back retaining clips don't have little positioning holes drilled in them, but that's an easy fix.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the article Cheap View Cameras Ernest Purdum mentions several different B&J cameras including the Grover, Orbit, Saturn, Commercial View & Rembrandt. The reducing back I have is I suspect for the Rembrandt (has a natural finish rather than the battleship grey of a Grover).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin