Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,272   Posts: 1,534,537   Online: 1003

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Taking out the bellows from 2D

I recently picked up a 2D for a good price considering it will need new bellows.
    I got the back frame/part the bellows attach to easily off but can't get the front to pop out the same way. All the screws that should come out have come out (I think). Should this pop out or does something else need to be done.

I don't know what I was thinking. I already have a 5x7 but then again, this 2D has the extension track and is a lot sturdier than my lovely Century. The Century has lots of pinholes where I just drape the darkcloth over the bellows and it's fine. The new bellows on the 2D will be nice. I also got a 1903 B&L Tessar and a very nice Packard shutter.

At least I didn't change formats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking inside the bellows from the rear did you remove all the screws from the front bellows frame? They tend to hide under the pleats. A small screwdriver with a very long shaft is helpful because it allows you to open the bellows a bit and still reach the screws.

After a hundred years or so, the front bellows frame may have become adhered to the back of the front standard. If you're sure you have all the screws out, try gently prying to try to loosen the frame. Be sure to use something large and flat which won't gouge the wood.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan,

On the 2D, there are if I remember right 16 small brass screws on the front standard that have to be removed to pull the front mount off, it takes abit to find them as Will said, the hide under the front pleat, also, when you put them back together, be very careful, I found out the hard way, how easy it is to put a screwdriver through a new set of bellows on my full plate 2D, man I was pissed!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eureka!
    Thanks for the tips guys. There were indeed four more screws that were hiding. Man, what a pain to get them out.

I'll be sending this off to Western Bellows asap.

Thanks again,

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Alan,

congratulations. Of course, I will miss having another "Century" brother around.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan-
    If I may ask, what does a new set of 2D bellows go for?
    Thanks,
    bart

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Matt: I'm not getting rid of my Century. First, because I love it and secondly, I'll need something to shoot with while I wait for the new bellows to be made

Bart: I talked to a guy on the phone yesterday and he quoted me $179 for a 2D 5x7. To install would cost an additional $50. Turner Bellows gave a quote of $250 and another $50 to install. I just sold a painting so I'm splurging a little but would also like some money left over for film and paper.

I think my optimum set up would be an 8x10 with a very large lens board and backs for 5x7 and 4x5. Until I get to the point where I can drop the cash for a Deardorf I'll just make do with what I'm able to put together now. Should be fun.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin