Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,892   Posts: 1,630,046   Online: 919

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would start with an ebony rsw or sw45 - miles more compact than any linhof or graphic...miles.

65 f8 Super Angulon, 90 Angulon, 150 Xenar/G Claron are about the smallest lenses I can think of in their focal lengths. However, I would go for a 65 F4/4.5/5.6 Nikkor, Rodenstock or Schneider over the 65 f8 as whilst small it is very limited in coverage and is dingy. All other options are heavier and larger.

As for tripods and meters, I could not say.
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 07-29-2006 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another alternative is my 9x12cm pack:

Voigtländer Bergheil with 150mm Heliar, additional lenses 90mm Angulon and 210 Xenar f:6.1 (anachronism, but small, light and a no. 1 shutter), six plate holders with inserts, a rollfilm back, and a flimsy prehistoric Linhof tripod. Total weight (in bag, including extra film and changing bag) somewhat less than 4 kg...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, here is some info:

zone vi 4x5 (vermont model)
    9.5 x 8 x 4

no-name 5x7 british plate camera
    9.5 x 8 x 2.5

Crown graphic (top rangefinder)
    8.5 x 7 x 3.5

Busch Pressman D (side rangefinder, if I remember correctly)
    7.5 x 6.5 x 3

I miss my old Busch Pressman but they are terrible with short lenses.
    Sooo... can someone post the dimentions of a linhof? please reference the model.
    I was thinking an old linhof model iii or iv would be nice. Are the linhof rangefinders adjustable like the Kalart or do they require a cam?

David: Thanks for the advice on the wind in hawaii! I was thinking a tachihara might be my best bet but now I think a heavier camera will be better.

For lightmeters I have a Seikonic zoom-meter l228 that I absolutely love. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes. it 'zooms' to 300mm. I'm not sure what that relates to in degrees but its not 1. It's not as sensitive or precise as a pentax but its so much more compact. Are there any modern spot meters that compact?

I havent seen too much discussion on tripods. Are any 5 section pods as sturdy as the 3 section? I have a medium-weight pod that is quite bulky. are there any designed to be compact?

Regarding filmholders.. I do have a grafmatic but its prone to leaks and does not slide smoothly. Are the qickload/readyload holders bulky like the polaroid 545?

David: What island is imageworks on? Are there any good labs in hawaii? I was thinking if I had the film processed there then I wouldnt have to worry about x-rays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not shooting much 4x5, but the kit I keep is a Linhof Tech III sans rangefinder with a 203mm Ektar, 120mm Angulon and 12" RD Artar. Meter is the same Zone VI Pentax digital which I've used since 1984. It's compact and reliable. Film holders and tripod should be the same whatever the kit. The Linhof is remarkably compact - or maybe I've just been away from 4x5 for too long.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter Gowland's Pocket 4x5 gets my vote for the most compact 4x5. Google Gowland
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darwin,

The only decent labs when I lived there were located on Oahu in Honolulu, I suspect that most of them are gone by now, I used to live on the Big Island on the east side, I normally just sent my stuff back to the mainland and had it processed.

Wind can indeed be a big probem depending on the time of the year, I didn't go back to the beggining of this thread, to check, but what time of year are you visiting and which islands will you be visiting, Kauai and Maui can be very windy, the north shore of Oahu is also normally windy, the higher elevations on the big Island are always windy as is the north area of the island, so if you can get something with a bit of weight, that woud help, also I used to hang a weight from my tripod to help mitigate vibration most of the time. With 4x5 I used to shoot on my bogen 3 section 3001 model a lot, I don't know what they call it now, but it is a good little sturdy tripod that will fit in most carryon baggage, albeit a bit short if your a taller person.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Imageworks is in the Kaimuki district of Honolulu and is the last supplier of sheet film in the islands. They're doing a brisk business mostly with schools and students. If you call ahead, you can see what they have in stock, and if they don't have what you need, they can order it pretty quickly. Frances Camera, which was a pro film source for many years, closed not too long ago.

I don't know that you can get sheet film processed locally anymore. Robert Teague sends his film back to the mainland for processing. I process it when I get home. You could ship your film to your favorite lab, and pick it up or have it shipped to you when you get home. I've done that with rollfilm and A&I mailers.

I wouldn't worry too much about X-rays with carry-on luggage (I'm more worried about inspectors opening a box of exposed sheets), but if you buy the film here, that saves one trip, and you could FedEx it home or to your lab, if you were really concerned. As recently as 2 years ago they didn't X-ray on interisland flights, but now they do.

I'd measure my Tech V for you, if I had a ruler, but there's a good article on Technikas at cameraquest.org, and also look at the reviews at lfphoto.info, and you may be able to find specs for the current models at www.linhof.de and bhphoto.com. The dimensions of the IV, V, and Master Tech are the same, and the MT2000 is the same size, minus the rangefinder. Some of the earlier versions of the Tech III are slightly smaller, but don't have the range of movements that the later models have.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc
    I will be taking my wife to hawaii probably year.
    I'm impressed by the way you are allowed to phrase that. If I don't say 'We are going to Hawaii next year.', I'll end up carrying this compact kit myself.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    I would start with an ebony rsw or sw45 - miles more compact than any linhof or graphic...miles.

65 f8 Super Angulon, 90 Angulon, 150 Xenar/G Claron are about the smallest lenses I can think of in their focal lengths. However, I would go for a 65 F4/4.5/5.6 Nikkor, Rodenstock or Schneider over the 65 f8 as whilst small it is very limited in coverage and is dingy. All other options are heavier and larger.

As for tripods and meters, I could not say.

Agree with Tom here about camera - Ebony SW if money permits. I use APO-Symmar in 120mm and 150mm which are cheap used and tiny and more than enough image circle for the RSW which I owned for 2 years. then 80mm XL for the wide which I would love to own - or swap 120 for the 110mm XL if really no financial contraints.

Lightmeter don't skimp - use your favourite. No hint on film preference, but Quickload/readyload saves on weight, not really saving so much space.

Tripod 4 sections reduce bulk over 3 section models in Gitzo carbon, but more fiddly to set up each time and loss of rigidity (wind etc). Head Manfrotto 410 geared - compact and precise.

Probably a Toho 4x5 kit, surely?

Kerry has already done the work for you...:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/images/toho16.jpg

(and that's with 8 lenses!)

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/images/toho17.jpg

the three lens version

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin