Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,600   Online: 884

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY Meniscus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yup, that would be the best idea. Since the lens is just over 2.5" OD, some 2 3/4" PVC and a little tape around the lens for a friction fit will work out pretty good.
    The problem that I have though is how to test this setup ? The largest lens board I have is copal 3, which is no where near 2.75" ID....And Im not going to cut the hole until after the lens barrel is completed. I was thinking of making a home-brew optics table by projecting light through a 4x5 slide, and putting a piece of ground glass behind the lens. I can then cut out a cardboard aperture, and move it back and forth in the barrel.

Think that would work ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just for clarification:
    A meniscus lens can be positive or negative, single or compound, chromatic, achromatic or even apochromatic. What defines a menicus distinguishing it form bis-convex or bi-concave lenses is that both centers of curvature are on the same side of the lens.

Uli

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Uli,
    Thanks for that. I was starting to think I was going crazy.

As for an update,
    Im going to make a tempory barrel today out of PVC and a temp lens board. This way I can be assured that my measurements are correct. If all goes well, hopefully I'll have the barrel cut by the end of next week.

Thanks again,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Getting closer...
    Today I made a quick lens board and tested the lens. Instead of using PVC I just used the old lens barrel, as a portion of it unscrewed. Thankfully, that still gave me 40mm of barrel to work with, as my aperture calcs placed it somewhere between 32-38mm away from the glass.
    Taking the average of that number, I affixed the aperture 35mm away from the glass. I didn't see any vingetting. However, to be honest, I didn't see any when I pushed the aperture all the way against the glass either. Even with some big rise, there really wasn't much fall off until after 2" of rise or so. Could the image circle possibly be that large ? Did I goof somewhere ? The only time I saw some vingette was when I affixed the 'snoot' shown in the last photo; and even that didn't show w/o some rise.
    I am pretty excited though, as the images on the GG look to be just what I was looking for
    Anyway, here's some photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ap_test1.JPG   ap_test2.JPG   ap_test3.JPG   ap_test4.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    More....

I still wasn't sure what was the correct orientation for the lens to face, either ---> ((], or ---> [)).

So now that I have it mounted, I figured I'd give it a shot. This is what I found:

F=230mm
    Wide open = f/3.2
    Stopped Down = f/16

----> ((] Gives you a super sharp image stopped down in the center. The OOF areas aren't as 'hazy' as a typical meniscus would be, but rather everyhing swirled around the focused area. There is a pretty sharp cut-off as well between in and out of focus. Wide open its still really soft however.

---> [)) Gives you that typical meniscus hazy/dreamy look. Still pretty sharp when stopped down, but it slowly bleeds into hazyness.

Im going to go with the first one, as I think it would work best for me. If I were doing studio work however, I would probably go with the second one, as for tighter shots I think it would work best.

When I put that snoot on (f/4.5), it makes some real nice images on the GG. I think I may revise my plan and close up the barrel slightly to have that as my 'wide open' aperture.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, final design which I will import into the CNC lathe. The only major difference between this and my first drawing is that I added provisions for a 67mm filter thread in the front, and I moved the aperture to the proper place.
    I can say with certainty that the aperture on a meniscus sort of lens should be between 1/7-1/10th the focal distance away from the lens (if placing it in front of the element). I discovered this in some readings, and after confirming it with an individual on the Large Format board whom has done more than his fair share of reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails meniscus_final.jpg  
    Last edited by SteveH; 08-15-2006 at 02:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, so my hunk-o-aluminium arrived today. I just couldn't justify paying 5x the cost for brass on a lens design that is really untested. I still haven't decided upon which shutter system I am going to use (electomechanical packard or Ilex), so therefore I won't be cutting the barrel until I do so.
    Thankfully I am on vacation, so I have some free time to think about things before I return. Either way, I hope to be cutting the barrel the first weekend of next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raw_material.JPG  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin