Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,579   Online: 956

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Identifying lens on Kodak No.3A

I'd like to ask if someone knows what for lens (focal length, coverage) is on an ages old Kodak No.3A camera. It's a Kodak Anastigmat F7.7, the only other thing written there is a serial No. (No.437). The lens has aperture values of 7.7 to 45. It is in a shutter with 3 time settings (1/25, 1/50 and 1/100 + B + T), and it has something like "EKC" (standing for Eastman Kodak Company??).

As the film area of the 3A camera is something like 8.5x14.5cm, I gather It would cover a 4x5", probably with few/no movements... Or am I wrong? Has anyone of you tried this lens?

Thanks a lot
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Images
    The lens I took off a 3A was a 170mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat. I mounted it on a board and put it on my Tachihara and it covers just fine. I've seen 3A lenses with the Kodak Ball Bearing shutter, like mine, and also with a dial set Compur, a much better shutter. May not be the best lens, but the test shots, with a 6x9 roll film back looked good. A great lens for $5.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have a 170 mm f7.7 from a 3A. There were a lot of different lens/shutter combinations on those things. Kodak made a limited number of 7.7 lenses, however. The only ones I know are the 170 and the 203, which is a later addition. Oh, and a process lens I have in a barrel which has 205.7 scratched into the flange.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks a lot, I think it is the 170mm. I'll try it on a 4x5" and then add my impressions of the lens...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin