Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,416   Online: 786

Shooter
    4x5 Format

flatness problem with readyload holder?

This thread caused me to pull my own Readyload holders out and check them. Sure enough I found that both of mine are also warped. The edge one inserts into the camera first, on the side facing the lens, isn't flat. It's not bad enough to cause a light leak (at least it didn't fail the flashlight in the bellows test). But it seems to be sufficient to effect focus, and it's not stable (it can rock back and forth some) so it could cause focus problems to be worse on either the top or bottom of that end of the holder.

Has anyone else seen this? And, are there any other threads out there at the various forums that talk about this problem?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Bruce, I don't use the Kodak holders. I've found the Fuji QuickLoad holders to be flat, but have noticed a couple of times (over the course of a few - 3 or 4 - of years) where the film wasn't held flat along one edge - but this has been such a rare occurance, I haven't been able to find the case.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Thanks for passing this along Bruce. I was considering getting a Kodak holder and trying out some VS100 - but, I think I'll wait until I can be assured Kodak has them fixed first.

FWIW, there really aren't a lot of color photographers on APUG, and even less who shoot Ready/Quick Load, so I wouldn't expect a lot of response.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    "... FWIW, there really aren't a lot of color photographers on APUG, and even less who shoot Ready/Quick Load..."
    I've been thinking about running some through my Polaroid holder. Just haven't gotten around to it.

One of these days...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    Looks to me (and from his discription) like this guy is having problems with the sleeve seating in the clip. I suspect this may be a "learning curve" issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Robert, and APUG,

I am using the older Kodak Readyload holder with E100VS, and it works great. The one with the black pressure plate, and the word Kodak in red on the front is the old one to get. This was made in the transition from double sheet Readyloads to single sheet Readyloads. It works fine with the newer single sheet packets. While the construction is simpler and lighter than the newest holder, the old one does not suffer any warpage. As a side benefit, these are fairly low priced on the used market . . . well, at least until this thread on APUG and a similar thread on LF Forum become more common knowledge.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    http://www.allgstudio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin