Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,200   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

eBayitis strikes again. Are these lenses a good buy?

Nothing on TV, need to buy some new books. I've managed to stay away from eBay for a while but the fingers started twitching.
    Anyway I saw a couple of LF lenses that nobody seemed to be bidding on. A 150mm 5.6 Sironar and a 210 6.3 Commercial Congo in a copal 1. I managed to pick up both lenses for £100. I figure at that price I can't go wrong but any opinions would be welcome. I would be using the 210 for portraiture and it appears that the lens is a copy of the Commercial Ektar.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lee,
    Do you have a serial number on the Sironar ? They're pretty sharp lenses, and should have some pretty good coverage. What shutter is it in ?
    As for the Congo, all the LVM has in it is that the manufacturer was Yamazaki. There is no reference to the f/6.3; only a f/4.5 and f/5.6 version. Is this lens coated ?
    It does seem to be a Ektar (heliar constructed) clone however, in which case Im sure it will be an excellent portrait lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I don't have a serial number but it's in a Synchro Compur (it looks like a 0).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I had a 210 Congo for several years which I used on 4x5 and 5x7. I found it plenty sharp for 11x14 's from the 4x5, but I never tried it for larger prints.
    I'd say you did pretty well in the bargain department. In the LA area this would be like buying the Sironar cheap and having the Congo thrown in free.

Have fun.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Commercial EKTAR, and Congo are Tessar derivatives. It would be unlikely the Congo to be a copy of the Ektar, but the Congo should be a very good lens.

Congo: http://www.cosmonet.org/congo/frame_e.htm
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both the lenses are excellent buys, of course providing they are mechanically and optiaclly sound.

The Sironar is an excellent prformer and has a slight edge over the equivalent Schnieder in terms of image quality.

Congo's although lesser known have a good reputation too.

Now how did I miss them :-) I scour ebay for good lenses . . . . .

Good luck make sure you use them

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Now is a poor time to ask.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Now is a poor time to ask.
    Yes, hindsight is not the right thing to use when buying something. As usual with my eBay purchases I always tend to see something that's selling within the hour so it's a case of convincing myself (and the wife) that it's something I really needed. As I've just recently started using 5x4 and only have a 135mm symmar this will make a nice range of focal lengths. Total cost for all three lenses is now £150! Just got to find that cheap 90mm

Ian, I was quite surprised when I saw the lack of bidding. He looks like a good seller with very positive feedback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    The Sironar is an excellent prformer and has a slight edge over the equivalent Schnieder in terms of image quality.
    I think it's really funny how 10-15 years ago it seemed everyone was of the consensus that the Schneiders were superior to the Rodenstocks - even as late as five years ago. Suddenly the Rodenstocks are deemed superior. This comment was not meant as a potshot - so much as me wondering why/how this happens. Ahhh... such is life I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I think it's really funny how 10-15 years ago it seemed everyone was of the consensus that the Schneiders were superior to the Rodenstocks - even as late as five years ago. Suddenly the Rodenstocks are deemed superior. This comment was not meant as a potshot - so much as me wondering why/how this happens. Ahhh... such is life I guess.
    I've thought similar thoughts, too. Perhaps this is the problem comparing apples-to-apples. BTW, I like apples with green skin better than apples with red skin... but that doesn't necessarly make green apples better than red apples, does it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin