Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,500   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

A simple question about enlargers

I just bought an enlarger on a whim:

Ebay Item Number: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have never used one and I have not been in a darkroom since high school (over 20 years ago). I know next to nothing about the whole darkroom thing. I just wanted to start printing my own black and white prints.

My question: This enlarger will do black and white just fine won't it? Their is nothing about the color part that will mess with it, will it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $100 bucks?!
    You suck.
    That's one good deal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    The color filtration will be a plus and make your enlarger more versatile. If used with VC paper magenta filtration will increase the contrast, yellow will loiwer the contrast. Having a stabilized power supply will also be very nice.

Enjoy.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will work just fine from what I've read. You can use the colour filters to control contrast in black and white.
    That looks like a very good price, especially with all the lenses and negative carriers!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a smaller version specifically for black and white, as I had gotten tired of cleaning filters in the dark. The extra convenience of the dichroic head is really nice. The price is amazing! Congrats!

BTW, take a big vehicle to pick it up, those things are huge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the setup i have and i paid $300 about 4 years ago. Most vc papers come with a guide for color heads, there will be a chart somewhere inside the box. Is the power supply included? You'll need that.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh wow, I hate you.

I bought an Omega D2 fixer-uper off eBay today for $6, and I have the feeling I'll be making carriers and buying lenses...

But I have the smaller version of the Super Chromega- the C760, and used it fine for 6x6 and35mm work. Dichroic filters are nice to have.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One of the industry standards, about the best you can get.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank R
    My question: This enlarger will do black and white just fine won't it? Their is nothing about the color part that will mess with it, will it?
    If you want to experiment with variable contrast papers using the color head, and don't have the chart that relates the dicroic filter settings with the contrast grade, a place to start is with an excellent article by Paul Butzi:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/vcce.htm

His article also goes into the procedure of speed-matching the various contrast grades, which is a truly wonderful thing!

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin